moving to a new tank tips

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mrs_monkey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I have an established community tank and a new bigger one, and the big move is planned for tomorrow, id love some tips please :) new tank needs to go onto the same stand (it was for the bigger one anyway) and has an internal filter, new tank will have an external - run both until BB builds in the external or simply move the media into the external? save some tank water or completely fresh (conditioned) water? - fish in a covered bucket whilst I rescape? and prepping the new tank? its new and still in it's box, so a clean out first?
sorry for the questions, I have plans in my mind but know you guys will have some tips :) - I just want to minimise the dangers and stress as much as poss
thanks in advance if you can offer any advise

I just moved my saltwater 55.

I made about 35 gallons of water.
Got 2- 50 gallon plastic tubs from lowes ( they were $20 each)

Moved a good portion of the water into one of the tubs. Moved the rock and fish into one of the tubes. Emptied all but an inch of water and then me and my wife were able to lift the tank off the stand. Moved the tanks and equipment to the new spot. Put in the new water, mixed in the old water ( basically doing a %50 water change) and the live rock.

I waited till the salinity and temp were right on and then added the fish back in.

Back
Top Bottom