Moving with a fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theharr89

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, we are looking at moving in the near future From Arizona to Colorado (72 hours max between tanks) and have 2 tanks we would like to take with us. Obviously the easiest solution would be to get rid of fish and start fresh when we get there but there are a couple that we are attached to and would be sad to see go. I have seen a few different methods mentioned but wanted to see what you guys would recommend. All methods would involve coolers and transporting as much water as possible as well as not feeding the fish for 48 hours beforehand but the main difference is in how the fish would be packed. One method I have seen involves packing the fish basically in trash bags a few fish per cooler as to not be crowded and seal the bags with no more than 1/2 water, 1/2 fresh air. Second would be similar but the difference would be Oxygen instead of air. Third is packing in smaller bags with Oxygen. Last would be in coolers lined with trash bags but the bags not sealed, lids on the coolers, and bubblers in each cooler to provide aeration. Like I said, the fish would be in the coolers for between 48 and 72 hours during the move and would be in the back seat of my crew cab pickup. What are your thoughts on the different methods? I am leaning towards the last but wanted input before the trip.

Back
Top Bottom