Moving Your tank tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Collatos

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have to move, my tank has been set up since the strt of feb. Any suggestions or tips about moving it???

Couple of hints I looked up where to get a couple 5g buckets to put the fish, filter media, and I this applies the live rock in. Use an battery operated aerator. Also tank will probably be best to take down last but put up first when you get to the new spot. I'm sure others will chime in.

I was hoping more for tips of moving the corals and replacing the sand w out too much disturbance. I've moved plenty of freshwater tanks, just not salt. Thanks tho!

Ive moved the tank before (28 gal nano).
I had five 5gal buckets from home depot with the leak proof lids.
First step was to disconnect everything but I left the filter basket in its place and the lid on top.
Removed enough water intill it was right above my tallest piece of live rock. The next part EAD Just making sure after each piece of live rock I would siphon out more into each bucket to cover all the rocks. If possible wedge the rocks safely so during transport they dont smash around any of the hitchhikers, inverts, or corals. At the end there was still some water and of course the live sand in the tank which made it lighter but still heavy lol :p. the rest deals with your driving... Drove über careful the whole 1 1/2 drive . Hope this helps a bit :)

Forgot lol
Aeration was not needed at the time due to it only being a sort time and I had no fish only inverts, although if fish are involved and a longer duration is needed for travel then I would reccomend the live bait buckets they sell at Walmart believe they are also 5 gal, comes with top and aeration . Around 10-15$ for that bucket .

I actually just moved my 10g. Put live rock, fish, and coral in a 5 gallon bucket. I took all but like an inch of water out of the aquarium and left the sand in it. Moved both and put my power head in the bucket and let the aquarium sit overnight so the sand would settle real good. Set everything back up the next day no deaths, even all the crabs and snails made it.

Ok so you added new water and let it settle over night and then put your corals fish and rock back in the next morning? How did it do w no light for a while?

I actually just put the light on top of the bucket so it had light. I did treat the water just to be safe and I was actually surprised at how well everything went.

Oh do you have a detachable light? My tank is a biocube. What did you treat the water with?

Corals can go without light for some time... In the oceans there are storms, clouds and even night time when there is no light ... I've shut my lights off for 2 days straight to help get rid of some algae and they're all fine :)

Awesome thanks so much! If I replace my sand will the tank re-cycle?

Most likely... All new bacteria in the sand as well as the loss of bacteria from the old sand

But it won't be too bad best bet would to set the new sand on top of the old as a a top layer but it's all up to you everyone has their own opinions just what ive gone through :p

Ok cool thanks. Do you suggest putting the rocks in bags and in a foam container or in buckets?

I did exactly what hatterZ did, Works pretty well. Honestly moving a tank is nothing but annoying nomatter how you do it. But putting all live rock and creatures in a bucket is best. Leave a litle bit of water in the tank with sand, And just try to set it up at its new location as carefully and quickly as possible

Collatos said:
Ok cool thanks. Do you suggest putting the rocks in bags and in a foam container or in buckets?

If you have the foam containers available u could use them, Personally i probably would use those for fish and rocks. Separatly ofcourse

Back
Top Bottom