Mow dwarf sag? Or just remove?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Atl300zx

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 6-7 pieces of dwarf sag that have decided not to stay dwarf anymore.

Should i remove these pieces or can i just "mow" them short again?

Also any idea what is causing these to grow all the way to the top of my 55 gallon?

In general, when plants that are supposed to stay low start growing way higher than expected, it usually means they aren't getting as much light as they would like--thus the plant is attempting to grow higher to "reach" a stronger light source.

However, if only a few of your plants are doing it while the rest aren't, then I have a hard time believing this would apply in your situation. So I'm stumped.

I think there is so merit to what you're saying however.

I usually run 260 watts over 55 gallons and have lately only been running 130watts b/c one my timers broke.

I am replacing the timer this weekend, but back to original question, should i trim or remove?

I assume yours is propogating as prolifically as mine used to. I would pull the large ones and replant the babies every other month or so. I don't know how they'd react to being trimmed

cool, i just did it and just filled in the bare spots will smaller ones. worked out well.

thanks.

This is a common problem with Dwarf Sag. It will randomly decide to grow tall. Sometimes if you move it to a different part of the aquarium it will revert back to normal dwarf growth.

Back
Top Bottom