MrBeta's DIY Fluval Edge Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBeta

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm DIYing a Fluval Edge out of an old 20g tank that I could neither sell nor give away as a gift for my mother.
I've got the glass cut to size and mocked up as a cube but I'm trying to determine the best way to notch out the glass for the filter and the lights.

My best guess is to drill holes in what will be the inside corners of the notch and score between the holes and then out to the edge of the glass and try to stress the scores to break evenly.
I've also thought about drilling several holes and just trying to break it out.

filter.jpg

That's the only pic I can find right now of what I'm talking about.
I'll see if I can grab the glass and take some pics of what I need if it's not clear enough.

I've Googled "notching glass" and "cutting glass" and found a few ideas but I figured I'd ask before diving in and breaking the glass.

Since I'm building this out of an old tank, I'm using almost every bit of glass so there's no room for mistakes. I know I can do it myself so I don't want to take it somewhere and have it cut for me.

Thanks in advance.

There are a number of videos on YouTube, from Bohle that deal with odd cutting. The necessary equipment you won't have, but it may give you some ideas to adapt.

if you have a dremel, you might look into using a diamond cutting wheel and lots of water to cut the glass. it's not supported by dremel but several people have had luck cutting glass with a diamond wheel. you might google it and give it a look

jeffp said:
if you have a dremel, you might look into using a diamond cutting wheel and lots of water to cut the glass. it's not supported by dremel but several people have had luck cutting glass with a diamond wheel. you might google it and give it a look

That is what I was thinking about doing. Just gotta get some wheels.

Well we'll see how it goes. I've ordered a glass drill bit which should be here Friday or sat so that I can drill the corners and dremel the straight cuts.

Here's a pic to put my money where my mouth is. :)

image-3339192002.jpg

I'm working on lighting (3w LED and driver) and we'll see where this takes us.

Edit to add: the top glass is very dirty and covered in old silicone.

This thread has my interest! Subscribed...

How does your DIY tank compare in size to the Edge? Slightly bigger/smaller or bang on same dimensions?

I love the look of the Edge, would love the chance to build one from the bottom up (like you).

The Editor said:
This thread has my interest! Subscribed...

How does your DIY tank compare in size to the Edge? Slightly bigger/smaller or bang on same dimensions?

I love the look of the Edge, would love the chance to build one from the bottom up (like you).

Well since I used an old 20g tank, I used the sides of the 20g for the top and bottom of my Fluval copy. I'm pretty close to the dimensions of it's retail counterpart bit not 100% accurate. When I was determining the height of the tank, I just eyeballed what looked good and it came out about the same. This was just an off the cuff project and so far I have about an hour in it.

So I'll add another post with a question.
I have some GE Silicone at home and my question is will that be enough to bond the sides to one another or should I use another product?
I know it will seal the tank and that it's fish safe after cure time, but will it be strong enough to keep the tank together?
When I taped the tank together, it was rigid so I don't think I'll have any problem but there's always that sliver of doubt. :)

Silicone is fine. Remember that once you place the silicone, run your finger along down the center of the edge to give it a smooth finish.

Are you going to be building in a DIY overflow ?

I've gotta be honest and say that I'm overflow ignorant. I'm not sure I even understand the concept.
I've researched it in the past but never really found a good launching point.

It'll be a gift so there will be no sump or anything. Now when I make one for myself, (and I will) I might have to try an Edge copy with an overflow and sump.

well there is some that use a overflow + sump system. Then the ones that are a bit bigger and nicer that use a 3 stage filter. I didn't see you using a 3 stage filter unless you was going to do a huge modification of a previously bought one. (which is actually a nice idea) That way the filtration remains hidden, and is just visually stunning.

That's something to keep in mind for next time.

Per USPS tracking, drill bit should be in today and so all I need to do is run to the store and get some diamond wheels to finish this .
I'll probably wait until Sunday when I go out to visit my parents and use my father's drill press to punch through this glass.
While I'm out there, I'll fab up the stand and get that finished.
I haven't made any progress on the lighting :/

Hopefully updates/completion this weekend.

I'll probably get an AC20 for this and call it done.

Pic update. Drill bit came in but I'll have to wait for Sunday to drill it.
I have real work tomorrow. It's okay though, more OT to fund my projects.

image-345165160.jpg

Well, long day... Got to work and my dad called me and told me my childhood dog died so I left work and headed there to bury her. That ended up being an all day ordeal since here in Texas you're either digging in rock or rock.

Anyway, good news is I'm getting ready to drill and dremel the notch in the top glass and possibly assemble it tonight so that I can work on the base and top tomorrow.

image-2125884749.jpg

image-832821201.jpg

Using a 3/8 core bit to drill the inside corners of the notch to avoid cracks.
Hopefully, that is...

Update!
So I got the top successfully notched and went ahead and started the assembly.
The notch wasn't as clean and pretty as I want but this build is utility over beauty and it's really just a working prototype.
When I make the next one, I'll use new glass and have the glass notched for me.

Anyway, 5 of the 6 sides are siliconed and I'll drop the last piece on it tomorrow if I have time. Here's a couple pics for updates.
Sorry for quality, these are all phone pictures.

image-4085945750.jpg

image-959392707.jpg

image-1214298179.jpg

image-756263800.jpg

image-2725777163.jpg

image-945118862.jpg

image-907734433.jpg

image-1861068362.jpg

Got the bottom siliconed on and I'm waiting for that to cure and then I'll clean up the glass and do a leak test. I'm going on a fishing trip Wednesday and Thursday and will leak test it Friday.
The silicone was much more difficult than any caulking I've done so it didn't turn out as smooth as I wanted bit I'm happy as long as it holds water.

image-2026165205.jpg

image-950376250.jpg

looking pretty good! You going to fix the hood on there to be permanent, or removable?

How certain are you that this tank will withstand the pressure from the water? How thick is the glass/acrylic?

The top piece is glass and permanently mounted to the walls just like the real Edge tank.
The glass is 3/16 inch thick and it's from an old 20 gallon tank so I'm assuming/hoping it'll work like I want it to...
We shall see.

Back
Top Bottom