MTS bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Evaunitone

Aquarium Advice Activist
I recently broke down an old tank that had a lot of MTS in it. I threw them all in the garbage and got rid of the substrate etc so there are none left. I also soaked the tank in bleach water so there definitely are no survivors. I would have kept the MTS but I thought they might have been carrying bacteria or protozoans of some kind because the fish I had were getting sick and several different kinds of fish I had with the MTS had the same stringy poop symptoms. Anyway I thought it was best to start anew in case the MTS did harbore parasites or whatever. Does anyone know if this is a realistic thing to think? If not I feel like I should get some more MTS for my upcoming planted tank to help stir up the substrate. Agree? Disagree?

Also, if you think I should have MTS in my planted tank, do you think they will survive in a tank with peat in the water? I'll be trying to keep the water pH on the low side and also attempt to keep it somewhat soft because I plan to keep a couple rams.

MTS are, IMO, a good thing to have. They should do fine in a low ph system, however you will want to give foods that are rich in calcium to help support there shell growth.

A note about disposing of them. You probably didn't think about it at the time, but anytime you dispose of snails, plants, fish, reallly anything live that is in the aquarium, you want to kill it in a manner so that it does not have the oppurtunity to invade the natural habitat. You will want to make this a practice so you don't risk introducing a non-native species to your local enviroment. The same goes with tank water, don't dispose of it in a method where it can contaminate streams-ponds-rivers, really any natural or man-made water source so you don't risk introducing pathogens and bacteria into the enviroment that don't naturally occur there.

I don't think MTS are a requirement for a planted tank, but if you're using sand as substrate, I'd recommend them. MTS have relatively thick shells. I think they'd be fine in any water suitable for freshwater fish.

I got thousands of em, and in a planted tank as they are not a requirement I personally would not have a planted tank without them.

Yes ma'am I did kill them. I felt bad but yeah.. I froze them in the freezer for a couple days. Poor guys.. Anyway now I have to get my hands on some more of them.

10 bucks and Ill send you some, the snails are free the shipping is covered as well as the heat pack. PM me, I ship on tuesdays mainly due to it being my day off. Can ship during the week but after 3pm.

some= as many as you want.

Thanks to Devil, I now have thousands too lol! But I like them, they eat poo, so I don't have to clean it up everyday. WHOOHOO!

Thanks to Devil, I now have thousands too lol! But I like them, they eat poo, so I don't have to clean it up everyday. WHOOHOO!

yep, which is why they are beneficial in all FW less some inhabitants. I got a good 1000 out right now , I just cleaned the glass of algae and they are scouring the bottom for leavins.

I'd definitely like to buy some. Could I wait till next week though? I have like 2 cents in my checking account at the moment :p

Yep, they arent going anywhere, if anything I will have more by then, just let me know and I will harvest and get them ready to go.

some= net fulls so let me know if you want a certain number, I suggest not alot as they do breed like mad in dirty tanks where food is abundant.

my yoyo would love a snail snack. he ate all his pond snails. I even told him to leave a few to multiply. he didnt listen

Back
Top Bottom