MTS bio load?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was on Aqadvisor.com entering in my current stock of fish and shrimp. It put me at 82%. Then I added 20 MTS (I'm sure I have more than that) and it took me right up to 100%. Do they really carry that much of a bioload? Or does aqadvisor overestimate it?

Additionally, if I were to get a single Assassin Snail for population control, it wouldn't wipe out the MTS completely, correct? I like to keep some in there.

I never go by those bio calculations. My 10 gallon planted aquarium has 7 pygmy gouramis, 4 neon tetras, 4 rummy nose tetras, 2 ottos, 8 fire red shrimp, 2 ghost shrimp, and about 20 MTS. It's all about range set up and parameters. My tank is heavily planted providing cover and lots of oxygen.
Assassins will not wipe out MTS or any other species unless you get a ton. MTS seem to regulate their population on their own; abundance of food, the breed and a lack of food, they slow or stop breeding. So assassin snail(s) isn't really necessary.

Here's my tankImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1410570014.127205.jpg

Awesome. Thanks. Great info. I wanted to get an assassin because I really like their shells. I just wanted to make sure he wouldn't wipe out everyone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

what's MTS sorry ?

Malaysian Trumpet Snails. They have a long cone shaped shell.
I started with 10 and that expanded to >100 in a short time. They do produce waste which sinks in between the grains of the substrate I am using (EcoComplete).

MTS definitely add bioload.

It is hard to say whether 20% is reasonable amount without knowing the size of the tank.

Back
Top Bottom