Mucus, diatoms, and hydra (oh my)!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Iris135

Aquarium Advice Regular
What is this mucus-like stuff floating on the surface of my tank? I noticed it after I did a water change about a week ago. At first it looked like an oil-like film. I skimmed most of it out. It came back and clumped up some. I skimmed more today, this is what remains.

ForumRunner_20130411_162925.jpg

ForumRunner_20130411_162925.jpg

ForumRunner_20130411_162949.jpg

Could it be protective coat? The tank is home to a single beta and ghost shrimp.

Also, I have a serious diatom problem but the tank just finished cycling, so I'm not to worried about it. However, upon inspecting the diatoms on one wall on the tank I noticed what appears to be hydra. There are just a few tiny white fan-like structures. I could not get a pic if them, they are too small. I lost 2 ghost shrimp in the past week and I am afraid that hydra is the culprit. How do I treat this issue?

5 gallon planted
1 beta and (now) 2 ghost shrimp
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Temp 74F

Do you have excel? Do you dose co2? What is your fert sch? I had that oil film happen once, it was 1 of 2 things. 1. water surface agigation. Your water might be too still. or 2. water conditioner check the date of exp. I must have gotten a bad batch of tetra aquasafe. try adding more surface agitation, and what is your water conditioner? Hydra I heard can be treated with excel.

What size tank is this? Is there a filter running? What type of lighting and how long do you run it each day?

Hydra's are killed by Hydrogen Peroxide 3%. You can use 2-3ml of Peroxide for every 10 gallons of tank water pulled up in a syringe, then squirt alittle on each hydra. If you have alot you will have to do treatments over several days as you can only use the amount of Peroxide listed above daily. Also when using Peroxide you should turn your filter and lights off for 15-20 minutes to allow it to work.

You appear to have a protein layer which means you need some surface agitation to break it up.

As for diatoms you should only run your lights 6 hours max until they run their course. This will keep the amount of how many grows down. Also if the tank isn't planted you can add some phosphate remover to the filter as phosphate remover also removes silicates that the diatoms feed on.

Back
Top Bottom