multiple dead fish! possible tank takedown?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle6367

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone,
So I've had a 55 gallon tank up for over a year now with a pair of jacks in it. They were doing well until I lost one from what appeared to be a bacterial infection. He had white stuff coming out of his gills, and stopped eating.
So I took the other jack back to the lfs and decided to get a bunch or community fish. Endedup with some cory cats, guppys, neons. I floated the bag for 30-40 min, and added the fish. Within hours a few were coated with a thin white film. And by the next morning all were dead! So a few days later I ended up trying a few goldfish thinking they were hearty. I just bought a few fancy tails. They were floated for half hour and I poured some tank water into the.bag. after putting them in the tank i already have one dead, and the others are developing that white coating.
I'm feeling lik I may need to take the whole thing down, clean it, and cycle again. I'd like to avoid that, but it just seems everything I add suffered the same fate. Any help would be great, thanks!

Hi! Can you tell us a bit more about your tank? Filtration/media? Cleaning schedule of media and substrate? Water change schedule (%/# a week)? Exact numbers for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph? What you are using to test the water (liquid or strips)? Do you use salt or have a water softener in your home?

It does not sound like a disease issue but a serious issue with water quality. I am going to guess that ph level is extremely acidic but there may be toxin issues as well. With the introduction of numerous new fish in a very short period of time, disease also may an issue. Some more information will help!

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm just getting home from work so ill answer what can and get you the tanks water parameters when I can test them.
So my tank has pool filter sand for substrate, along with some rocks and plants (fake). I have 2 filters on there, one is a Rena filter do3 and the other an aquatic 30-60. They have both been up as long as thr tank has. I usually clean them alternating with each water change every 1-2 weeks.
Ill check my water and post it when I have the results. Got home to the other 2 goldfish also dead covered in a thin white coating.
And have a liquid test kit.
Here is what I got when I tested the water:
pH:6.8-7 (tap pH)
pH:6.0(tank pH)
Ammonia:0-0.25
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:5-10

Seems like somehow there was a pH crash in the tank which could be why the fish all died so quick. I just don't how it could of happened all of a sudden when there wasn't any issues for so long.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom