multiple questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fintique

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok here it is, I checked my water quality reports for san antonio tx and my ph is between 7.4-7.9 I have a test kit and it doesn't go over 7.6, so its hard to tell being its darker and doesn't read on the given chart.(api water test tubes with drops)
I have been using api proper ph (7.0)to keep it at 7.0 which i was told I should do. I want to add java moss to my aquarium. It reads that I can not have live plants when using it.. Question one.. do my fish really need the proper ph solution? I have (2 rainbow fish, 4 cory cats *panda*pepper*emerald I have 13 neon tetra, 2 mystery snails,3 glo fish tet and one rubber lip with a few ghost shrimp. can these fish deal with ph between 7.4 and 7.9?? my ph is at 7.0 as of now.

question two.. since I cant use the proper ph for my water when introducing plants should I do a 60-80 percent change before adding java moss without adding the API solution??

Those fish should be able to handle their PH being a bit off just don't get any thing that needs a specific PH

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

My PH stays around 7.6 and I have many of the fish and snails you listed. Snails prefer a higher PH. Below 7 and their shells will start to erode. You do not need to use bottled stuff to lower PH unless you have a specific fish that has to have a lower PH. Most fish in pet stores are used to a higher PH. I would start with small water changes every few days of untreated water and slowly raise your PH. Large swings can cause problems in fish. Check your PH the next day after water change and slowly get the PH up to what your normal water PH is.

For future reference, if you need to lower your PH plain peat that you get at garden supply stores works. It is sold where potting soil is sold.

Stop the proper pH.

Being in the high sevens is fine for most beginner fish, if it is stable. Dumping stuff into the water can increase osmotic stress and cause more pH swings.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Back
Top Bottom