Multiple Tangs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donnie2112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I was just invited over to my LFS owners house and was amazed by his 110 gallon tank, he had between 5 and 10 tangs, swimming around with one another like they were Chromis. I also watched as he casually dumped a Powder Blue in with all of the others and none of them flaired up or were bothered by the new fish. I guess the extra space makes all of the difference.

I guess the extra space makes all of the difference.
What extra space? The reason for no aggression is none of the fish can establish any territory. They are all stressed out..I guarantee it.

I agree with Larry. I wouldnt trust that LFS as far as I could throw him. As Larry said they are stressed out. Go back in a few months and I`ll bet those same fish are not there.

ryshark, why is that only 3 in a180 I quess you have a bunch of other fish but if you did not have others could you then have more tangs is the rule for SW less then FW fish per gallon.

I only have 3 in my 125 gallon tank. Aside from the normal aggression that happen between tangs they are also play a huge toll on the bioload of your tank. They need to be fed plenty of greens and they let go of alot of fish waste. I`m not RYshark bit just giving my 2 cents worth.

I agree with Melosu, they produce lots of waste. When you get one you will see they crap a lot. For my 180-gallon I could probably go with 4 but that would be my limit. My only other "big" fish besides the tangs will probably be my Copperband. Right now I have a blue hippo tang and a desjardini sailfin tang. My plan is to add an Achilles tang and that will probably be it for tangs.
With the new cone skimmer I got today, I could probably handle 10-tangs waste... however the aggression and stress would not be good with that many.

I have 2 tangs one will go in the new tank shortly, A blue hippo 2 inches and a yellow 2 inches and I watch them alot since I am home all day and they get along great always together like a pair of perks do, ryshark you said with a skimmer you could handle way more tangs waste wise, skimmers make that much difference? I have a skimmer and it really gets nasty dirty after a wk but I didn't know they could make that much difference that you could double your load as you have said.

I would really like to build my own glass tank maybe 8ft long I have a room I can do that in do you know if anyone has done that and is there a article anywhere how to do it.

I have 2 tangs one will go in the new tank shortly, A blue hippo 2 inches and a yellow 2 inches and I watch them alot since I am home all day and they get along great always together like a pair of perks do, ryshark you said with a skimmer you could handle way more tangs waste wise, skimmers make that much difference? I have a skimmer and it really gets nasty dirty after a wk but I didn't know they could make that much difference that you could double your load as you have said.

I would really like to build my own glass tank maybe 8ft long I have a room I can do that in do you know if anyone has done that and is there a article anywhere how to do it.

The skimmer removes the organics out of the water helping keep the water clean, nitrates down etc. I am over skimming because I have sps coral in my tank which like very clean water. Tangs can create a big bioload so the skimmer helps clean the water. This is the skimmer I have on my tank SWC Xtreme Cone Protein Skimmer 250 1A SWC Xtreme Cone Skimmer 250 A [Xtreme Cone 250 1A] - $899.99 : SWC - Salt Water Connection, Protein Skimmers, Calcium Reactors, Filters & Lights

HOLY SH-- that is huge and high dollar I don't think I have seen a picture of your tank , you must have one.

got it in the picture below the diagram you show your eheim pump whatis that to the right a chiller?

You have some nice stuff, your wife is smart lady do this before baby comes you have diapers to change Congradulations on your soon to be child.

got it in the picture below the diagram you show your eheim pump whatis that to the right a chiller?

You have some nice stuff, your wife is smart lady do this before baby comes you have diapers to change Congradulations on your soon to be child.

Thank you. To the right...and left of the Eheim are fans which are now mounted in my canopy.

Back
Top Bottom