Mushrooms ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XxVooDooxX

Aquarium Advice FINatic
It's to dark to get a picture but I'm wondering, at night do mushrooms close up? I have a small frag with two on it and they seemed to be doing ok, today I put my second wave maker in and tonight they are completely closed up. I'm not sure if I've just never noticed this before?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

Mushrooms are the java moss of reefs. They grow in many conditions. Most tanks will work as long as lighting is decent. Prime conditions are low to mid lighting and low flow. You could put them somewhere where they wouldnt be getting that much flow, but they should be fine as long as they aren't being bleached or something. Good luck!

Btw, what type, ricordea( my favorite)?

Thanks for the info! I'm not sure what kind the frag was given to me. When they are open it's kinda metallic blue/green and when closed it's neon green

Yeah they do look really nice and I placed them under a rock overhang with partial light and less flow so I'll just watch them and adjust if needed

XxVooDooxX said:
Thanks for the info. I'll keep you updated!

Mind posting a pic?

Light stand: 72 inch Current USA 12x39W Lights: Current T5HO (2)-10kk True lumen T5HO (6)-12kk. Power white Current T5HO (4)-460nm Actinics 220 gallons custom tank

So the mushrooms were attached to a shell on the sand bed and one of my hermits just took it over. Now he's running around the tank with my mushrooms on his back. Will they die? Will the detach and settle somewhere else?

Yeah they do look really nice and I placed them under a rock overhang with partial light and less flow so I'll just watch them and adjust if needed

they do not like flow but it will not kill them. they will just release from the rock and you will see them floating around. When I do a water change and all my pumps are off my red mushrooms get about 5 inches in diameter. normal is about 3 inches.

I've had 2 mushrooms let go. They will float around until they find a spot with low flow and attach themselves. You could give them a hand and place them in a spot with low-medium lighting and low flow, or let them find a spot, your call.

If it starts to bother you, get a small plast cup and fill it with liverock, put the mushroom in it and cover the container in some type of breathable mesh( I've heard of brides vail being used), put it in a low flow area and in a week it will be attached. Put it where you like:)

Back
Top Bottom