Music to my ears!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Someone from my ACF tank was just singing for the first time ever! It was great! There are 3 adult froggies in there that I just inherited a few weeks ago. For the first time in their lives they are living in a planted tank with clean water and no other fishey inhabitants and I think they like it!

Hooray. These guys are so cool!

leoslizards said:
I WANNA SEE PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OKAAAAY!! (but you asked for it!). They're African Clawed Frogs, and they aren't that loud. I have never heard it before, but it kind of reminded me of crickets. The tank is right beside my desk, and I was working away when suddenly I heard a unfamiliar sound and I realised that it was coming from right beside me in my frog tank!

Here's a full tank shot (the hornwort is taking over nicely):
img_786415_0_8cb6f7e0e9cd068b1667b97cf7db93fb.jpg

I just can't get over the way they just hang around like this... Especially one of them... I always see him just dangling around.
img_786415_1_9b105fd6c5367f0b3e36c932a3b4faee.jpg

img_786415_2_6c2559e388ca1cdcbdeea58475c345aa.jpg

img_786415_3_262516dd138b789dad7d9291319ebd69.jpg

img_786415_4_78f9c2b420e6a602d38498f226753ad1.jpg

img_786415_5_806ad56cc109d3e05c7ce481ebeddb46.jpg

Here's perhaps their biggest fan. He still doesn't understand why he can't catch them.
img_786415_6_7d322d60768c0a1ab7e3841d7c2b0b91.jpg

They are cute! I love the third pic; he looks like he's trying to balance his legs on either side (is that cabomba?). :)

Ahh cool. :)

Don't they get really big? I saw some at a LFS about a month ago and they where bigger than my hand. I mean HUGE! I never knew they got that big. The ones I usually see are really tiny at about 1".

I'm more into more exotic species of frogs myself. Red eyed tree frogs, poison arrow/dart frogs, mantellas, etc..

Here's a nice pic I found of a golden mentella.

Toirtis said:
Tres cool. Swing by Riverfront and grab that Malayan horned frog we have....he sings like a 100 db burglar alarm.
Hm... I might pass on that, but thanks :D ! I actually don't think I have noticed that guy... I am in there from time to time so I will have to take note.

These guys are about 5 years old so I am thinking they are full grown, thankfully. This is probably the only tank upgrade they will get, but they seem pretty pleased. I have noticed how much more active they are living in their own tank. I used to think they were kind of boring where they were before (at my dad's house in a tank with gouramis and uber-high nitrates). But now I am constantly exclaiming "these guys are so cool/weird"!

I haven't heard anyone sing since that evening though... hopefully they will pipe up again soon, but not too much.

There are 3 of them and they eat mostly bloodworms and brine shrimp. I would like to vary their diet a little more, but I'm not sure what to try next.

Oh, and they also ate several neons and even a couple of small lyre-tail mollies before we knew anything about them. I'm trying to steer away from that particular diet though....

We have a couple of ACFs we just moved to a 10 or 12g Eclipse Hex. I've never heard 'em sing (I know the big one's a female). What's funny is they both cram themselves into this little neon rock thingy...

As to what else to feed - www.xenopusexpress.com cheap pellets by the pound.

Back
Top Bottom