My 194g Planted Discus tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have kept 16 rams without issue in a 40b. 8 pairs all breeding !
You have room easily like Brook said...

The pair. The male protected the eggs, I stole a few with a baster. He attacked anything that came close to his eggs. They started hatching within the 24-48 hrs. Not sure they will grow, but I'll try. 20180115_215839.jpg

The rams have laid more eggs. This time daddy is letting mommy help him defend the eggs. They both take turns watching over the eggs. The fry from the first batch are swimming around like crazy in my make shift tank, it's a gallon jar inside my qt. with an airstone, filter material from dt. Heater in qt keeps jar warm but I can see babies better and feed them in the smaller container. My boys are enjoying watching them.

Looks great, excellent addition to your tank and/or trade.
I really want to get discuss + rams. Will need to do something about our water here - 8.0ph and 12drops to color the GH so not really ideal. It was decided we will be moving the big tank to a different wall in the room (tank is due for a rebuild anyways) it so happenes to be the wall behind which utility room is :) . In time I will be researching cost of running RODI or perhaps peatmoss pack in canister will be enough.

Looks great, excellent addition to your tank and/or trade.
I really want to get discuss + rams. Will need to do something about our water here - 8.0ph and 12drops to color the GH so not really ideal. It was decided we will be moving the big tank to a different wall in the room (tank is due for a rebuild anyways) it so happenes to be the wall behind which utility room is :) . In time I will be researching cost of running RODI or perhaps peatmoss pack in canister will be enough.
Thanks! My discus were raised in German tap water, I believe the pH was higher than my pH is now. I have wanted Discus for a long time, and I want to keep them alive, so for me that meant getting them from a source that had similar water than me.

I have the tank on constant 2 gph in/2 gph out and do weekly 30%plus (80gal) water change and vacuum. So far, I have been doing twice weekly changes to vacuum because I feed them like crazy. I have an auto feeder during the day and give them beef heart 3x day.

Anton
For what it's worth, I successfully kept Discus for several years in water with parameters very close to yours. Mineral deposits would form and flake off my tank heater. No special water treatments, just 50% WC a week, temp. 82-84 degrees. Frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp.
Kept a school of 6. The largest grew to salad plate size. Only had one bout with disease, gill flukes. Easily remedied with Formalin. One drawback. I had one mated pair that regularly laid eggs, but the eggs never hatched. Probably due to the hard water. Breeders in my area used peat moss to alter the water chemistry.
I'm not knocking the exhausting water maintenence and feeding regime that a lot of our member Discus keepers practice. I follow their post and have great respect for their fish keeping philosophy and skills. I'm just noting what worked for me.
If you go the discus route, buy locally. Let your LFS acclimate the discus to your water for a few weeks, and get them eating.

Anton
For what it's worth, I successfully kept Discus for several years in water with parameters very close to yours. Mineral deposits would form and flake off my tank heater. No special water treatments, just 50% WC a week, temp. 82-84 degrees. Frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp.
Kept a school of 6. The largest grew to salad plate size. Only had one bout with disease, gill flukes. Easily remedied with Formalin. One drawback. I had one mated pair that regularly laid eggs, but the eggs never hatched. Probably due to the hard water. Breeders in my area used peat moss to alter the water chemistry.
I'm not knocking the exhausting water maintenence and feeding regime that a lot of our member Discus keepers practice. I follow their post and have great respect for their fish keeping philosophy and skills. I'm just noting what worked for me.
If you go the discus route, buy locally. Let your LFS acclimate the discus to your water for a few weeks, and get them eating.
Salad plate size.... That would be awesome! I hope mine grow that big!

Lefty
I'm sure some of your Discus will get quite large. You have a beautiful, big tank, plenty of space to grow. My setup was only a 58 gal. Oceanic tank. As you know, Discus develope a pecking order. The tank boss will likely grow larger than the rest. The weakest will likely be substantially smaller. Big or small, they all will look really good.

Nice with the rams !
I use Toms Dip and Pour hanging in my tanks to raise fry and hatch... Tank keeps their temp .I use disposable air stones mostly ,but near 3 weeks I might add in a Aquatop CAF10 sponge filter..They are super small and weighted with gravel.
With regular water changes they can thrive for first month easy in the large D&P..
Fresh hatched BBS 2 times a day at least.. I vacuum with a clear turkey baster and change water syphoning through a disposable air stone to keep from sucking up fry...(y)

Some spoiled fish are getting a new setup! The flow in the bean system is too much for them, and the neon keep taking a ride over the overflow. I am building a stand/cabinet for it to sit on. 125 gallons, self contained system, so no sump below, just the overflow system behind it. 20180514_093216.jpg

Back
Top Bottom