My 1st Guppy Batch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ocminpin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got my second batch of guppy fry tonight :) 12 saved joining 2 I saved the other day... 14 babies total... I'm excited to watch them grow and see what colors come out!
My first time raising a batch of guppies. I only have experience with Platies and Mollies.

image-2556369735.jpg

Adorable! I love watching mine grow and change color, I have about 20. I lost 7 to deformities and the fact that the breeder tank moved around so the filter no longer pulled gunk out

Guppies.com. For you i highly reccomend it. In a couple of weeks i want you to seperate the males and the females.

Again through excessive inbreeding results can be: high percentage of deformaties, low fertility, spinal bends, and hernias. Be careful with them otherwise you will lose more and more. So i say seperate and if you want to breed them(the fry) then go to a different pet store and buy a male of the same app. age. Please these little guys can be so beautiful and amazing to look at with so many possibilities(for breeding for many results). I just want to see them live and be healthy. Your female should have had far more than that for a fry count. Thats why i am pushing so hard on you the importance and dangers of exstensive inbreeding. Im not being mean... I am only trying to help. Thank you for reading. I joined here myself for help. I just asked for help last night myself but im still gonna help with what I do know. Have a nice day snd let me know something. What kind of culture do you have for the fry.

I'm not really concerned about separating sexes. I've never done it with my Molly or Platy Fry. I sell them on Craigslist or to my LFS. They are generally put in with males at that point anyway.

This was ocminpin response to me yesterday. I understand what your doing i just want you to understand that if you breed these fry or this female with the fry, you will most likely have more problems than happiness. Again im just trying to help

GuppieStudent said:
Guppies.com. For you i highly reccomend it. In a couple of weeks i want you to seperate the males and the females.

Again through excessive inbreeding results can be: high percentage of deformaties, low fertility, spinal bends, and hernias. Be careful with them otherwise you will lose more and more. So i say seperate and if you want to breed them(the fry) then go to a different pet store and buy a male of the same app. age. Please these little guys can be so beautiful and amazing to look at with so many possibilities(for breeding for many results). I just want to see them live and be healthy. Your female should have had far more than that for a fry count. Thats why i am pushing so hard on you the importance and dangers of exstensive inbreeding. Im not being mean... I am only trying to help. Thank you for reading. I joined here myself for help. I just asked for help last night myself but im still gonna help with what I do know. Have a nice day snd let me know something. What kind of culture do you have for the fry.

I'm sure she did have much more than that.. She was stuffed.. But she was in my 30 gal with mollies and Platies and another guppy. I was gone a few hours and I'm sure quite a few were eaten. She was skinny when I got back. When I catch my mollies birthing and get entire batch they usually have 40-60 fry.

GuppieStudent said:
I'm not really concerned about separating sexes. I've never done it with my Molly or Platy Fry. I sell them on Craigslist or to my LFS. They are generally put in with males at that point anyway.

This was ocminpin response to me yesterday. I understand what your doing i just want you to understand that if you breed these fry or this female with the fry, you will most likely have more problems than happiness. Again im just trying to help

Thank you for all the help an suggestions. I will definitely go to the website you recommended.
I won't be breeding any of the fry or getting a male guppy. I wanted to see the difference between guppies and Platies and mollies. I've read that you all love the colors guppies have so I thought it would be fun to raise a few batches (knowing a female will store), went and picked out the most pregnant female in the tank.

Well just to prevent the chances of further inbreeding seperate the males in one tank and the females in another but not with the mom. As well please remember that the small batches of fry are not your fault. If any develope any of the above listed risks and faults just remember it is from the excessive inbreeding that took place WAY before you got her okay.

You said I will be able to sex them at 3 wks... Do the males have a gonopodium at that age or is it by the color of them?

After a month some are ready to breed so think about separating males and females after the fourth week. It can start showing at about 2-3 weeks of age but that small you have to look close. At that age as well is the only way to tell. The females are also generally less attractive than the males(colors and finnage) so thats something else to look for. If you need physical references look at my pics and google for pics of male and female gups. I do hope this helps you. Any other questions you have i will be more than happy to try and answer. As i said before im doing extensive research on gups for school so from some questions you may even allow me to discover some things for myself as well. Im still looking up on what may have happened to the orange tail. See i remembered. I told you, you have my word. Ttyl

i've never had my guppies gender at a month, that's just way to early. you barely have any color in most of them at that time. i've got about 50 in my tank right now from the last drop (another batch due anytime now), i've probably had hundreds by now.

You said I will be able to sex them at 3 wks... Do the males have a gonopodium at that age or is it by the color of them?
Neither. females can have good color to them, altho it is more common for the males to be more colorful. the gonopodium wont be visible at 3 weeks. they are still too young.

pcdebb said:
i've never had my guppies gender at a month, that's just way to early. you barely have any color in most of them at that time. i've got about 50 in my tank right now from the last drop (another batch due anytime now), i've probably had hundreds by now.

I can't tell the gender of my Platies until 5-6 mths ... They grow SLOW!! and my Mollies are 4 mths.

Having never raised guppies it seemed a bit soon... And I will say that I can't tell the difference between my 8 day old and 3 day old guppy fry at all. They're all the exact same size.

it will be 2-3 months before you can tell gender in the guppies.

i've raised more than my fair share of guppies lol i've got another female that's ready to pop

And I will say that I can't tell the difference between my 8 day old and 3 day old guppy fry at all. They're all the exact same size.
they're all livebearers so there isnt going to be much difference in the breeding habits and the way they are raised. I think that the guppies are a little bit more prolific in breeding tho :brows:

pcdebb said:
it will be 2-3 months before you can tell gender in the guppies.

i've raised more than my fair share of guppies lol i've got another female that's ready to pop

Thank you :) I can't wait to see what colors come out...

pcdebb said:
they're all livebearers so there isnt going to be much difference in the breeding habits and the way they are raised. I think that the guppies are a little bit more prolific in breeding tho :brows:

Check out my current thread "Cruella birthing now" ... Talk about prolific!

As far as colors you can start to see colors as early as about 3 weeks. A few of mine are showing a little bit of color which it makes it easier for me to spot them.

Breeding can be a lot of fun :)

A few years ago I bought home a Mickey mouse platy because I thought he was cute. Didn't really realize she was preggers, but about a week later she dropped about 60 fry!! The birthing was traumatic tho and she died :(

pcdebb said:
A few years ago I bought home a Mickey mouse platy because I thought he was cute. Didn't really realize she was preggers, but about a week later she dropped about 60 fry!! The birthing was traumatic tho and she died :(

I just posted on my Mickey mouse :)

Back
Top Bottom