My 20L is a reptile tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marconis

Aquarium Advice Addict
I found my new 20L in someones driveway, waiting to be donated because the person was moving. It had a screen top, so I am assuming it was a reptile tank. It also came with a light hood that had a flap on it to open to feed the fish. I had no idea at the time that you couldn't fill these with water, someone in the chartroom informed me tonight. Mines been filled with water since Thursday night. Is this tank just waiting to bust at the seams?

it can happen, I have the same style tank your talking abotu for my leopard gecko, before she was in it it was full of fish and gravel. The best way to help the tank out is to put osme foam, liek used for insulation under the tank, thats the shape and size of the glass to help support the load. Obviouslky you want a nice sturdy full sized stand so none of the sides are hanging off the edges. If you really wanna do things right you can take all the seals off one at a time and reseal them with aquarium sealent, I do oen at a time so its easier and doesn't fall apart. just make sure you scrap all the old seals off and apply a nice sturdy new one. other than that you should be fine. BTW I never did reseal mine just put foam underneath, but it was only set up for abotu 3 months, I don't know what would happen with a long term tank setup. Some of the chemcials might erode the seals away, so I would reseal it to be safe! HTH :)

wait... just to make sure, was the screen top a separate piece, or part of the top frame? if it was part of the top frame, you are looking at a reptile tanks, which is made of thinner glass and might have an issue. if you have a full rim around the top pof the tank and the screen sits on top of it, then i think you are fine

If the glass thickness is the same as an aquarium, it's probly an aquarium that they added a screen lid to. Tanks made for reptiles usually use thinner glass. If it's the exact dimensions of a 20 long, shows no difference in the actual structure of the tank, yer probly fine.

Tanks made specifically for reptiles usually have different doors and other modifications appropriate for reptiles.

Also, if it were not designed to hold water you'd probably have water on the floor by now! :wink:

Here, I took a photo.

img_799770_0_0cbd99d90a1c00ab9309ab998e4db2a7.jpg

img_799770_1_3aa930dc145f21e502a5256e96322614.jpg

img_799770_2_502da5fdbfb2241461443a1e09a06a3b.jpg

Why thank you! I am actually going to be switching out the plastic plants for silk.

Back
Top Bottom