My 30 Gallon Freshie Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bskerrichard27

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I been out of the freshie hobby for a few years in the saltwater hobby I have a 55 g reef a 75 reef and a 24 nano reef so I had a 30 gallon fish only salt that the fish went in the 75 so I figured I convert my old 30 salt to fresh ..this is what I got done tonight .. I'm going with a undergravel filter and crushed coral substrate since I have two 5 gallon buckets of the stuff ....question is can I use the crushed coral in fresh water as I will rinse it real good ? Tomorrow what're lights filter begin cycle

ForumRunner_20120510_230519.jpg

ForumRunner_20120510_230519.jpg

bskerrichard27 said:
So I been out of the freshie hobby for a few years in the saltwater hobby I have a 55 g reef a 75 reef and a 24 nano reef so I had a 30 gallon fish only salt that the fish went in the 75 so I figured I convert my old 30 salt to fresh ..this is what I got done tonight .. I'm going with a undergravel filter and crushed coral substrate since I have two 5 gallon buckets of the stuff ....question is can I use the crushed coral in fresh water as I will rinse it real good ? Tomorrow what're lights filter begin cycle

Sounds like fun! :D
I am just going to be blunt and straight to the point... I hate under gravel filters! They work well for a few months but then there is no way to clean it without taking out all the gravel. I think you would be much better off with an aqua clear hang on back filter. IMO
I don't think the crushed coral is a very good idea, it will change your water perimeters. What kinds of fish do you plan to keep?
Sorry about the harsh post, I have strong feelings about UGF...

Hooray for freshwater! That is an attractive tank. Yep, you can use the crushed coral. Definitely rinse it really well to minimize cloudiness.

Crushed Coral is used in African Cichlid tanks to raise PH. If you want normal community fish don't use the Coral.

For inexpensive substrates,
You can use Pool Filter Sand ( white)
Or
Black Diamond blasting sand ( you guessed it, black )

NOT with a UGF. Sand used with HOB filter or canister.

Ok I do have two hob a aqua clear and a wisper .I'm painting the back today ... As of right know I have a goldfish I inherited that's in a two gallon he's the main reason for this build because I feel so bad he's been kept in a small tank like that as for fish not sure of every thing yet except hank the goldfish lol

Painting of the background is complete once it dries ill remove news paper and bring it back inside

ForumRunner_20120511_112333.jpg

Ok rinsed crushed coral installed lights and hooked up air pump began making ro Di water and began to fill

ForumRunner_20120511_122658.jpg

This is were I'm at I got the drift wood in all filled up with rodi water went with a undergravel filter and my penguin
150 hob biowheel know the cycling begins wandering if I should do a fishless cycle or add fish
ForumRunner_20120512_225323.jpg

Depends on whether you want to do daily water changes or not. Fish-in, you will have to keep everyone healthy. I know you mentioned Hank the goldfish- what else are you considering because your options are pretty limited...

No Hanks not going in until cycle is complete I was thinging of getting a few feeder fish to throw in.

Considered getting some ammonia? You wont have to worry about what to do with the feeders afterward. Cheap, accurate & easy. :)

Back
Top Bottom