my 30 Gallon progression :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tamtam

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've been away from the boards for a while. Had a pretty crummy run with my tank and now I'm starting from scratch in my 30.

Trying to look on the bright side now though and am getting excited about planning this puppy out.

It's a low tech planted tank. I've ditched the fake plants I had as filler and am going to take the time for cycling to get this tank really looking how I want it to.

Currently I've got a lone java fern windelov and several small to tiny amazon swords.

My swords were much larger when I brought them home but have had a huge die off and I'm down to my tiny new growth. Looking forward to them growing in some more as the tank is looking mighty bare. lol.

I'll be adding another 2-3 windelov and maybe some water sprite... I'm mostly just keeping an eye for sales on low light plants and going from there.

For stock I'm still unsure.

I know I will certainly have an angel, perhaps 2. I know generally people say 30 gal min for 1 but I know a few breeders that keep pairs in a 20 tall and I think if I run under stock with good filtration and a decent scape this should be ok. Again still not decided though.

My very undecided thoughts so far are

I'm hoping to get my hands on a school of hatchets. If I can't I will do another school of something.. about 7 I think and probably similar in size to the hatchets.

I'm hoping to have 1 or 2 rams to add some life to the bottom level of the tank.

This is as far as I am. I'm debating a cat of some sort but not sure yet. Open to suggestions! The corys at the local pet store are rarely in good shape. I've never had luck with them from there so am probbly going to avoid them unless the marine store can find me some to order in.

I'll have a pic to post here shortly, would love some opinions. I just trimmed back the dead stuff from the swords today and am still trying to figure out proper dosing for the ammonia I have to get me up to 4ppm. I'm adding a small amount at a time, giving it an hour and testing again. Wish me luck.

here we go, hope this works.

It's still really hazy from the sand and is just a pic I snapped with the ipad but it will have to do.

5530-albums10517-picture51538.png

The swords are all on the left there and a few of the small ones in the front center. The java fern is with the rocks in the back right. I have 1 big hunk of DW that will be making it's way into the right side. It's nice and tall to add some height. I'll prob me moving the java fern to make room for it. Have to fiddle with that later to figure it out.

I remember you! Welcome back! :)

I think a 30 would be a bit tight to hold a pair of angels and rams. Plus they get aggressive when mating so other fish (particularly corys) could be in trouble, particularly without that much floor space. Just something to think about.

Looking forward to updates!

I remember you! Welcome back! :)

I think a 30 would be a bit tight to hold a pair of angels and rams. Plus they get aggressive when mating so other fish (particularly corys) could be in trouble, particularly without that much floor space. Just something to think about.

Looking forward to updates!

thanks!

It's crossed my mind. I'm piggy backing my 20 gallon filter on the 30 while I cycle it(2 birds with 1 stone so to speak) so was thinking maybe I'd set up the 20 do rams in it instead of the 30.

Back
Top Bottom