My 30g FOWLR day 3!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nuwave59

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi!
Just started my tank, and I'm really proud of my aquascaping!

30g tank with a 14g sump
Coralife Super Skimmer 65
Quiet One 1200 return pump
Eshopps PF Nano Overflow Box
Hydor Koralia 525
ZooMed Powerswep 216
200w Titanium Submersible Heater

Here's how it looks like so far :

attachment.php

I'll come up with more pictures soon!

Attachments

• SDC11003.jpg
    SDC11003.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 1,048
Looks nice. One question, is the tall rock on the right good and secure? Would hate to see it tumble into the glass or on top of some livestock.

looking good! I'd be concerned about the large rock on the right though, is it in there nice and solid?

Don't worry, the structure on the right is made with base rock, and I glued it with silicone. I plan to add 2 false perculas, a clown jester goby, a randall's goby, a coral beauty angel fish, a peppermint shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, snails, hermits. Here's a picture of my sump :

attachment.php

I'll put chaeto with 2 nasarius snails in the refugium part.

Thanks a lot for the comments guys!

Attachments

• SDC11005.jpg
    SDC11005.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 952
Nice lookin tank! Thanks for the list of equipment you're using it gave me a better idea of what I need for my future 33 gallon :)

Day 7!

Hi!

Just spotted my 1st hitchiker on my window. A 1/2 inch long white worm, very very very thin. So there's still life there! I know some people perform water changes during cycling, to help not losing those critters. Never done that when I was cycling my freshwater tank. My skimmer started to make foam yesterday. What do you think of water changes during cycling? Right now, Ammonia 0.5 ppm, 0 Nitrite, 0 Nitrate.

I did not do any water changes while I cycled my tank and a bunch of critters made it through. I am no expert but I would imagine water changes would extend the length of the cycle because you are removing the AM that you want the BB to feed on so they multiply. If it were me, I would not do any PWC.

That's what I thought too. Thank you! I made little changes to my aquascaping. I'll come up with more pics soon.

I believe water changes don't extend the length of your cycle because most of the bacteria isn't in the water it is located in the decor, substrate, and filter. thus you aren't removing much bacteria if any at all during a PWC.

I believe water changes don't extend the length of your cycle because most of the bacteria isn't in the water it is located in the decor, substrate, and filter. thus you aren't removing much bacteria if any at all during a PWC.

You are correct about not removing the BB but, you are removing the food that allows them to multiply when you remove the ammonia through a PWC. If you don't do the PWC the BB will multiply to devour the AM and Nitrite. The Nitrates will rise but since you have no livestock that isn't a problem. Once you no longer have any ammonia or any nitrite you can then do several PWC to get the Nitrate down. Once the Nitrate is below 10 you are good to start slowly adding livestock.

I also would vote for no water changes if not doing a fish in cycle. Theres no harm and you get hte levels of bacteria nice and strong. :)

The only time I think I would pwc during a cycle is if the numbers are so high you cant read them.

A frind of mine got a new camera and took a picture of me with my thank (Handsome uh? :) ) I added two extra bridges at the front, and my water is clear now. Picture was taken saturday september 3rd.
attachment.php

Attachments

• 2011-09-03 (15) (Copy).JPG
    2011-09-03 (15) (Copy).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,206
Yes, the tank is very handsome but I am not sure about the guy standing next to it. LOL You set yourself up for that one bud.

Back
Top Bottom