My 40g breeder build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

monaro_gto

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all,

I have been doing a lot of research and I still have a lot more to do but today I could not resist the petco $1/g sale any longer so here it is in its soon to be home (once I find some help to move it into the house :) ). This is old and made out of a church door from Australia. It stands about 8' tall and 42" wide.

Tank will be lightly planted.
Black blasting sand as substrate.
Current USA LED + 36" for lighting.
Im leaning toward canister but have not used them yet.

Stocking will be
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Clown Pleco
1 M/F pair of GBR's
1 M/F pair of pearl gourami's
4 boesemani rainbow's (maybe) still not decided.

This will be a slow build as tank and stand is all I have right now.

79324-albums12911-picture59748.jpg

It sounds like a plan, although you will have to keep an eye on the rams as they ain't so nice when they spawn. Some floating plants real or fake should help the gouramis.

I absolutely love the stand! Also, a nice choice on the footprint of the tank, the 40 breeders are awesome.

Have you thought about adding an extra female to the stocking of the gouramis? Apparently they like to be stocked 1m per 2f.

I could probably do 1 to 2 ratio for the pearl's, just dont want to get two crowded.

bettaowner: do you prefer neon's for coloring/looks or behavior? I kind of like the look of the orange tails. i was also thinking maybe 2 of them and two turquoise. Had not really seen the neon's before. I will have to take a look.

Just bought my 36" current usa led plus light fixture, Marineland canister and in line heater. Just have to wait for it all to ship.

Things are starting to show up! Light is in, Canister and water heater have also arrived! I picked up the blasting sand on the weekend. Now I just need to paint the back of the tank, clean the sand and order a cover!

have not updated for a while. Ended up building my own stand. What do you guys think about this layout? Also in the second pic you will see some red lines. is it safe to use 1/4" plexi glass to support my slopes?
79324-albums12911-picture61083.jpg

Plants that im thinking about
79324-albums12911-picture61084.jpg

Like the lay out!! In my minds eye I can see some java moss or Christmas moss tied to your drift wood..or anubias...

Back
Top Bottom