my 40g setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

runninwoof

Aquarium Advice Activist
I havn't posted any pictures of my 40g that i began setting almost 5 months ago. i tried to play with emersed growth and Hemianthus Callitrichoides (HC), but the growing and planting involved way to much patience so i went a different direction. I cycled fishlessly in january and was finished before the month was over. then i got what ever plants i could and threw em in (wood and many plants from mgamer).

img_987868_0_18ee91366f1d76cd1b72cf301e3b42de.jpg

Its a 40g breeder with aquaclear 70 filter and 78 watts of T5-ho. i have almost 6 diferent types of crypts, java moss, 2 types of hygro, sag, a few java ferns, and anubias. the fishies are 4 apisto Borelli opal (2f/2m), 6 rosey barbs, 2 neon tetras, 1 black molley, a few RCS, 8 corries, and a 6 inch sailfin pleco.
i do water changes once a week and does excell twice a week with potassium twice to 3 times a week. i had a horrible algae outbreak that lasted for almost 2 months, then once i started using excell and potassium it left my plants alone. i dont dose nitrogen and phossforus or traces because i use tap water and i think its very high in iron.

i have a few questions
1. Can my apistos breed with the barbs around? they paired off and come out seldom just to say hi.

2. how can i check the iron or phosphorus in my tap water?

3. what other fishes should i add?
4. how can i improve my scape?

sweet looking tank. i had so much problems with hc too.

1 they can breed in the tank. i would get some little cavs for them but there is a small chance for the fry to make it. with the other fish they most likely try to eat them.

2 no real way to check iron that i know of. i dont add iron to my tanks other then the little thats in the trace mix i use. they do have a phosphorus test kit out there. its also by far the easyest fert to get your hands on in the form of fleet at walmart or where ever.

3 well first i would add to your neon tetra school if thats what you want. there are other small schooling fish that can work and i think would really look great in your tank. plenty of small tetras rainbows or rasbora.

4 i would break off some of that hygro and move some more to the back. this way the back gets filled in more.

its really looking nice.

hi thought it might be a time for some update.

this is the picture about a month ago before i got co2, and when i had sag as a forground. i still had my hob filter.

18613-albums634-picture4441.jpg

this is the new picture today. pressurized co2, i have a power head as my difuser, rena xp2, and anubias foreground.

img_1004743_1_7b7723942b8dc5c8cf00916765e6ff74.jpg

Back
Top Bottom