My 75 gallon fancy goldfish and axolotl tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
omg mud puppies!! I thought long and hard about getting one, but I hear they are very fragile (among other issues). Given that reason, why did you decide to keep them with fancies?

Axolotls are not the same species as mud puppies.

I keep mine with fancy goldfish because it is the only combination I have found that is safe. Other fish are too fast and will nip at the axolotls' gills. Fancy goldfish are too slow to nip at their gills without getting nipped back.

Do you have to do a lot of maintenance in that tank? Cuz I know goldfish aren't exactly the cleanest buggers and I heard axies like very clean water. Although the axie part is just what I've heard. Never kept one myself.

Both need very clean water. IME goldfish are no messier per weight than any other fish. That said I do keep my tanks on an aggressive water change schedule, 80% weekly. This keeps the water quality as high as possible.

Cool! That's a dedicated water change schedule! How many tanks do you have? Also, I know you are a proponent of NLS foods, I currently have a 40long with a few bichirs, trust me I know it will be too small eventually but I'm in college and will be moving around yet. What NLS food do you suggest for them? Currently they are on a beef heart and hikari pellet diet.

I feed mine the Thera+A 3mm pellet.

I am down to two tanks, so it is not as bad as it used to be.

that axotle is soooooooo cool,how big of tank do they need?

Delhezi, I am currently trying to sell them. I am going to do something different with my 150.

Fishguy2727 said:
Delhezi, I am currently trying to sell them. I am going to do something different with my 150.

Ahhh one of my favorite types, I too have one. Do you keep anything with them? I've always had trouble trying to determine what to keep with my bichirs. (nothing at this point because I only have a 40 long)

As long as it doesn't fit in their mouth it should be fine. I have mine with rainbows, flagtail characins, asst plecos, Synodontis hybrid cats, loaches, and more.

Yeah I know that although they are predatory they aren't really aggressive. More opportunistic than anything else. I just never really bought anything to swim with them cuz I didn't want some expensive feeders! But it sounds promising from your experience, there is hope still!

Back
Top Bottom