Fishless Cycling My 75 Gallon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boilerwxman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have successfully fishless cycled a 15 gallon tank over 2 months ago and will be using it for seeding. In fact I just bought some Bio Max to put into my HOB filters on the 15 gallon to seed them so I can use them in my canisters to jump start the process.

This Tank is going to be an African Cichlid Tank with roughly 18 cichlids when fully stock, a bushynose Pleco and Red Tail Shark (I don't have the fish yet)

Here is what I have:
** 75 gallon tank and stand.
** 80 lbs of Caribsea Instant Aquarium Tahitian Moon sand
** Rena Xp4 canister
Trays Bottom to top (Here is my plan)
Mechanical Filtration
2 Trays of Bio Filtration
(BioMax and or Seachem Matrix)
(What about Pot Scrubbers)
Top Tray Maybe some polyfill to polish the water
** 300 Watt Heater
** Fusion Air Pump 600 (Two of my rock decors have air stones)
** Seachem Prime to treat
** Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer for water changes

I still need a light fixture (like a duel fluorescent or maybe LED any recommendations would be good) Finally thinking of getting second canister filter for the tank. That leads me to my question:

Should I start cycling with just the Rena XP4 -OR- since I plan on getting a second canister (looking at AquaTop CF400 UV) should I get that then do the cycling to have an established bio-filtration in both? If I do it with just one would adding the second canister be ok later down the line once I get fish or after I get fish?

No reason not to get started with your fishless cycle with the present canister. You can add a second any time in the future (while cycling or after). The first canister will help seed the second when you add it. :)

Back
Top Bottom