my 90 gallons ammonia level...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kukerdan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I tested today, the ammonia is .5 ppm, how bad is this, and what should i do to reduce this

How long has the 90 Gal been established?

What's the total inches of fish in there?

the kit that I have (Wardleys) says PH and temp also dictate what's "toxic" or unsafe

I tested today, the ammonia is .5 ppm, how bad is this, and what should i do to reduce this

ANY ammonia at all is harmful for your fish.

Answer the questions above from Wizzard~Of~Ozz, and we'd be able to help you better.

Water changes will bring it down fast, but you need to find out what is causing the problem in the first place.

the tank has been established for months, thers probably 90-110 inches of fish

Have you done anything recently? Did you test it after adding dechlorineated water?

Did you change a filter pad?

More info will help you get an answer.

recerntly i changed filters, my old pengium HOB kicked so i got the fluval 404, i didnt add the old media, i figured with pumping 340 gph the bacteria would extablish its self on the ceramic rings rather quickly, should i add ammo chips to one of the compartments in there and do a 20 gallon change?

Sounds like it is because of the change. Ammonia chips I never believed did much and hide the problem...It sounds just like a mini-cycle.

Keep up water changes until it reads zero (Possibly everyday just depending) for a few days.

Good luck!

if you dont mind me askin how do they 'hide' the problem, if the water reads less ammonia after you add that to the filter, then there is less ammonia in the water, but i will do the water changes

Your bacterial colonies feed on, and are dependent on ammonia to survive. You need bacteria to control the ammonia, so the ammonia removing chips deprive the tank of the ammonia that the bacteria need to establish themselves. That's why bacteria are known as "biofilter" because they filter your tank water as much as anything that you plug into the wall.

Remove the ammonia chips, do water changes, and eventually the bacteria that consume ammonia will populate the tank and you will no longer be able to detect any ammonia.

Back
Top Bottom