my anemone has a black mouth

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dmon1123

Aquarium Advice Regular
my anemone has either a black mouth or black around its mouth i did move it higher on the live rock so idk if im buring it?? it will not eat either wats the matter with it? please help

It will move if it doesn't like it's location.
Please post some pictures and tell us about your tank.

What size is your tank?
How old is your tank ?
How did you cycle your tank and when?
What has changed in your tank (new livestock, additives, partial water change, etc.)
How much LR, a/o LS is in the tank?
Was the LR cured ? (when)
What inhabitants do you have ?
What filter(s) are you running ?
What Power Heads are you running?
What kind of salt are you using , and how are you making it?
What kind of H20 are you using ? Distilled , tap , RO/DI ?
Are you using any additives?
What are your water parameters ?
PH
Temp
Ammonia
NitrIte
NItrAte
Calcium
Alk
Magnesium
SG (Specific Gravity / Salinity)
Measured with a refactometer or hydrometer (swing arm?)

What size is your tank? 10 gallon tank
How old is your tank ? prob like a year old
How did you cycle your tank and when? i just let the tank sit and cycle on its own
What has changed in your tank (new livestock, additives, partial water change, etc.) partial water change and no new livestock for a couple weeks and that was the anemone,hermit crab and xenia
How much LR, a/o LS is in the tank? i got maybe 7 pounds
Was the LR cured ? (when) i bought it at the store and it was already cured and that was prob a month ago
What inhabitants do you have ? clownfish, hermit crab, shrimp,two damsels black and white striped, two purple and yellow tailed damsels anemone and xenia
What filter(s) are you running ? penguin 150
What Power Heads are you running? none
What kind of salt are you using , and how are you making it? not sure its premade i buy it a petco
What kind of H20 are you using ? Distilled , tap , RO/DI ? not really sure i let the gallon sit and the chlorine evaporates
Are you using any additives? yeah purple tech, iodine,liquid calcium, and strontium & molybdenum
What are your water parameters ?
PH normal
Temp 75
Ammonia 0
NitrIte not sure
NItrAte not sure
Calcium 420
Alk normal
Magnesium not sure
Measured with a refactometer or hydrometer (swing arm?)[/QUOTE] swing arm and its like 1.25

i just let the tank sit and cycle on its own
Describe that please? What was in the tank to start the nitrogen cycle and how long did the cycle take?

clownfish, hermit crab, shrimp,two damsels black and white striped, two purple and yellow tailed damsels anemone and xenia
5 fish in a 10 gallon aquarium with just a simple Hang On Back filter is way too big a bioload for that filter to handle IMO.

purple tech, iodine,liquid calcium, and strontium & molybdenum /QUOTE]
Adding elements without testing for them is asking for trouble. Normal partial water changes are all that is needed unless you have a lot of SPS corals or clams, etc.

PH normal WHAT IS NORMAL Please post a number
Temp 75
Ammonia 0
NitrIte not sure Get a test kit or have your lfs test for you
NItrAte not sure Get a test kit or have your lfs test for you
Calcium 420
Alk normal WHAT IS NORMAL Please post a number
Magnesium not sure Get a test kit or have your lfs test for you
swing arm and its like 1.25 How close to 1.25 is it? It should be 1.025

Sorry to sound harsh but at this point I think you should take all livestock back to the lfs, get test kits for those items that you are missing, properly cycle the tank, then slowly add back SOME livestock (maybe 2 fish total for a 10 gallon tank).

Start by reading the articles on this forum
New Tank Setup List (Getting started thread)

How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish

and a few others. Come up with a plan of what you want to keep before you buy it and post that plan here for others to comment on.

Sounds like you are just using water out the tap. Not recommended for a reef tank. What kind of lighting are you using?

Back
Top Bottom