My Aquarium Addiction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Eraestar

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We started with just one 25g aquarium... Then we upgraded to a 60g and I couldn't let the little tank just sit there empty... Then a friend gave us his old aquarium when he decided to upgrade...

I tried to make them all a bit different, so we have a blackwater tank with Discus/Angels/Rams, a Big Cichlids tank and a Misc Little Guys tank with mostly Platties/Tetras.

What do you think? I'm always open to suggestions!

Attachments

• image-3327706572.jpg
    image-3327706572.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 326
  • image-2013786129.jpg
    image-2013786129.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 334
  • image-2940037034.jpg
    image-2940037034.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 334
Your tanks look great, it's funny how this hobby grows! I only started in November and now already cycling a second tank and planning my third!!

And the number of tanks only gets higher once you decide to breed. I'm at 8 and adding more every month as more breeding projects take off.

Good suggestion- maybe I'll try a background behind it before actually affixing it to the tank to see how it looks. I've heard of people painting the back of their aquariums as well, any thoughts?

Good suggestion- maybe I'll try a background behind it before actually affixing it to the tank to see how it looks. I've heard of people painting the back of their aquariums as well, any thoughts?
Yeah i debated(with myself!!) about whether to paint mine or not. I won and went ahead, it's the second best thing i ever done in my aquarist career...
So easy, so cheap and as said before, it really gives a nice depth to the tank.. It is also easily removed in the future, if needed.. I went with matt black but i have seen some beautiful dark blue ones on here. Have a look at the photo section on here. Trust me, you won't regret it.. I had many different backgrounds over the years and it's a pain when they start to bubble or peel off.. With the black, everything stands out beautifully..

I just can't bring my self to paint it I just always put paper on the back.

Well I just don't like altering my tanks so I cannot ever change it. I would never drill a tank I would buy a overflow unit.

Well I just don't like altering my tanks so I cannot ever change it. I would never drill a tank I would buy a overflow unit.
I fully respect that and you should never do something you don't feel comfortable doing. At the end of the day, it's your tank...
BUT.....if your tank is glass, it just peels off with a razor blade, check out the video on youtube..
PS.. Sorry i just couldn't help myself!!!

That's ok I under stand I am just weird like that. It may not look as good but it's how I do it it works very well.

Backgrounds

Black is so dark!!! I tend toward the deep graduated blue, as it offers variation in tone and brighter. Greens from the plants tend to really look great up against it and fish colors are quite nice too! Substrate is usually black/very dark.

That's ok I under stand I am just weird like that. It may not look as good but it's how I do it it works very well.
Nothing weird about that mate, as i said, it's whatever makes you happy not others!!!.
PS... I also agree with Autumnsky, dark blue is very nice....

Yes this tank looks nice with blue. It's my 15

Attachments

• image-1559636819.jpg
    image-1559636819.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 105
What's the difference between just putting a solid black background poster and painting the back black?
First of all, i'm NOT against backgrounds. Painting it is just a personal preference. I think the paint looks more solid. With the backgrounds,(i secured with Seaview) they always seem to get air bubbles, eventually. I had problems with them coming off at the corners. With my tank, it is pretty tight against a wall and emptying a 55g to try and fix the background was a pain. At least with the paint you know it's more secure. As i said it's really only a personal thing and there are plenty of cool backgrounds out there. I find with the black it draws the eye to fish rather than the background.....

Back
Top Bottom