My Aquarium Adventure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rkerk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everybody!! I am starting this thread on my new aquarium to help log my successes and challenges as I go. All comments are welcome whether positive or constructive. Some background info on my setup so far:

29 gallon deluxe kit aquarium including:
Full spectrum fluorescent light
100 watt vertical heater
HOB filter
Black and fluorescent colored gravel
Large fake wood decor with hidey holes
Volcano decor with built in air stone named Mt. Wanahawkaloogie like in Nemo
Rum drinking pirate air stone named Swiggs McGee

I set it up and filled it Sunday the 2nd. I was on another forum previously but the members didn't seem to respond to anything accept sick fish questions. I bought a test kit I have seen many other aquarists speak of because I am definitely not going to follow LFS guys advice about bringing a small sample of water in once a week to have them check it.

I am going off the advice of others about adding ammonia to get the nitrogen cycle going. It's been a couple days so far and am currently reading 5ppm ammonia and no nitrIte or nitrAte yet but that is understandable just starting out.

The picture included is my tank so far.

If you've read my book this far thank you for reading, again all advice and comments are welcome, and have a great day!

I would add some hardy fish to cycle the tank rather than add ammonia. Here is a link for a test kit to test your water if you don't have a test kit like this. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+4345+17338+4454&pcatid=4454 You could probably find this at your local fish store. I personally dislike the gravel, but I like more natural tanks. And don't get fake plants because they collect a ton of algae. You could try plants like the Java Fern and the Banana Plant.

I would add some hardy fish to cycle the tank rather than add ammonia. Here is a link for a test kit to test your water if you don't have a test kit like this. Aquarium Water Testing: Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Freshwater Master Test Kit You could probably find this at your local fish store. I personally dislike the gravel, but I like more natural tanks. And don't get fake plants because they collect a ton of algae. You could try plants like the Java Fern and the Banana Plant.

I do have the same test kit but paid a little more at the store. I'm trying the ammonia with the fish less cycle since this is my first tank in many years. All the research I've done says it will take a bit longer but I don't want to buy hardy fish and risk losing them. Once this tank is going good for a few months I am already thinking about doing a live plant tank and will be relying on all advice for it.

Alright, I haven't been on here lately but I think my fishless cycle has stalled. For the last two weeks my ammonia reading has stayed between 4ppm and 8ppm according to the color chart in the test kit. NitrItes and nitrAtes have stayed 0 the whole time. I'm thinking of doing between a 20% to 50% water change either tomorrow or Monday to see if that helps drop the ammonia level and get it going. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Ok, so with some unfortunate happenings, I have too much ammonia, no nitrItes or nitrAtes, and no fish yet. I am replacing all the water and starting over.

Back
Top Bottom