My attempt at a planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
AndrewsPistol said:
Soooo today is water change day. I change the Africans water every 3 days to keep trAtes in check and I usually do everyone else's while I'm at it. While testing parameters today I've noticed that this planted tank is zeros all acrossed the board! I was shocked to see it because I'm used to trAtes being somewhere near the 40s in the African tanks and I'm not accustomed to seeing a yellow trAtes tube haha! I don't have mechanical filtration in this tank, just a sponge filter, my Betta couldn't handle the water movement.. I'm planning in putting a biowheel filter I have on it to catch some of the debris floating around and probably moving my Betta. Do here's a question... Don't my plants need trAtes? Like a natural fert? So should I stop with such frequent changes and do about once a week instead of every 3 days with everyone else? For those of you who don't know I am a wc junky lol, I LOVE changing water and putting in fresh! Advice please!!!

Yeah, you'll need some nitrates, I'm not sure on how much but I just read somewhere else to keep it around 10-20 ppm, I'm not positive though. Keeping the wc at once a week would be fine.

Billbug68 said:
Yeah, you'll need some nitrates, I'm not sure on how much but I just read somewhere else to keep it around 10-20 ppm, I'm not positive though. Keeping the wc at once a week would be fine.

How the heck do I get trAtes?!??

By dosing ferts or let your tank get a little dirty! Haha, what is the tank currently stocked with? You have a ton of plants in there, they could have sucked up the nitrates too along with your wc schedule. Are you currently dosing any ferts? Although, if you're not seeing any deficiencies in your plants, you could leave it alone for a while to see how it goes. If you start using co2 you'll definitely need to start a good fert schedule.

Billbug68 said:
By dosing ferts or let your tank get a little dirty! Haha, what is the tank currently stocked with? You have a ton of plants in there, they could have sucked up the nitrates too along with your wc schedule. Are you currently dosing any ferts? Although, if you're not seeing any deficiencies in your plants, you could leave it alone for a while to see how it goes. If you start using co2 you'll definitely need to start a good fert schedule.

The stock for now is 1 Betta, RCS, About 3 or 4 apple snails, 1 adult the others smaller than a marble, and some temporary fry awaiting they're transition to the other tank. I will be moving the Betta & Fry out this weekend or next weekend, I've decided I want mechanical filtration on the plant tank to pick up debris & keep water moving and my Betta hates current so he's gonna get his own 5 or 10g. Actually seen a pretty nice 2.5 all in one acrylic kit I'd like for him for a descent price that I may pick up.... I dose Excel right now, try to dose it when I get out of work cuz I heard that's when plants eat? Fact or fiction? I have 2 CFL's over the tank. I'm planning on switching out sand for a plant substrate by the middle to end of November, when I move (dreading the thought of moving this tank with all the shrimp, just recieved a beautiful package of RCS to go along with what I have to rebuild my colony). I've noticed that I'm having an outbreak of algae. Green dots of it on the glass and it appears to be growing in my anubias... Well SOMETHING is growing in my anubias haha. Little spots if it everywhere... What am I doing wrong???

I had the green spot algae too, I cut my fert dosing down to once a week, my lights down to 6 hours a day and spot treat the green spot with excel. It's worked out great so far, I used to get tons of it on my glass, nice and clean now! :)

Billbug68 said:
I had the green spot algae too, I cut my fert dosing down to once a week, my lights down to 6 hours a day and spot treat the green spot with excel. It's worked out great so far, I used to get tons of it on my glass, nice and clean now! :)

Yea it's driving me insane lol! It's hard to scrub off!!! I was trying to take pics of some of my berried shrimp and that's when I noticed it was EVERYWHERE :/

Attachments

• image-700860874.jpg
    image-700860874.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image-1827133731.jpg
    image-1827133731.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 80
  • image-1766576035.jpg
    image-1766576035.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 72
AndrewsPistol said:
Yea it's driving me insane lol! It's hard to scrub off!!! I was trying to take pics of some of my berried shrimp and that's when I noticed it was EVERYWHERE :/

Use a razor blade for the glass and spot dose the anubias with excel.

Billbug68 said:
Use a razor blade for the glass and spot dose the anubias with excel.

K! I can do that :) so take the excel that I'm putting in for the tank and use a medicine dropper or something and squeeze it on?

Yeah, turn the filter off so the water is still. Squirt some around the affected areas and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then turn your filters back on. You can do this a couple times a week.

How long are you running your lights?

Edit: oh and p.s. I'm even more jealous now seeing your berried shrimp! I want little baby shrimplets! Are you planning on this just being an RCS tank?

jetajockey said:
I'd start with reducing photoperiod, that's usually the culprit for GSA.

So I reduced lighting and the green spot went away ;)

Got a bunch if green bugs living on my floating plants... They creep me out but if I flip the plant over the Betta goes WILD for them :) haha. Did a bunch of rearranging plants today & ordered a charger for my good camera so I can get some good pics. I'm changing water now & will post pics shortly :)

The latest scapes :)

Attachments

• image-1732980439.jpg
    image-1732980439.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 106
  • image-1331115560.jpg
    image-1331115560.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 87
Nice job here also, nothing like natural plants, even when they mean extra work, the colors of live plants can not be duplicate.

Great looking tanks.

I have springtails living at my waterline. Every so often I wash them onto the water surface and my danios love them, when they can catch them. Lol.

Jon

Thanks y'all! Planted tanks aren't as easy as they look haha!

Bugs are green :) the fish do enjoy them :) wonder where they came from???

Back
Top Bottom