My Beta, Simon, is attacking the background...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Annie/Aggie

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Beta, Simon, is attacking the background.Everytime I put a background on, he swims right to it and attacks it and keeps on doing it until I finally relent and take it off. Is this normal behaviour for them? I really like the background but Simon stays mad for hours and I don't want to upset him. Thanks.

Is there anything I can to do to keep the background and keep Simon happy?

Yes, I had a betta do that too and I finally removed the background. Like your betta, he just wouldn't stop! He started to tear his tail because he was so agitated.

You could try to make sure the background is pressed up against the back of the tank completely. I think the little spaces between the background and the glass causes part of the problem. But those backgrounds are made of shiny material anyway, and bettas do get quite agitated at their own reflection - some more than others. But it sounds like you have a hyper betta like I did, so removing the background may be your best option. If you're trying to make the back of the tank not look so bare, try adding silk plants.

What is the background made out of? If you can stick it to the glass without any glare it may work out.

Thank you very much, I'll remove the background and add more plants.

it looks like i missed a post from rich311k, sorry about that. Both the colored and black background was made of that shinny stuff. Do you think it may work with the ones they have that are a matte finish?

the black background sounds like a great idea, I'm going to try and combine that with a few more silk plants. thanks

yea, mine do that too. they will spend all day flaring up at their own reflections in the glass, its kinda funny to watch, but they will get stressed if allowed to do that 24/7

i did try the black background but that made him even more aggresive, i finally relented and bought more plants, these tanks can look so bare without a background, thanks. i can see why you wouldn't want to leave them that way all the time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom