My betta fish's tail turned into this in one day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elfeves

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
the fishs have been with me for a week.
i got it from thailand.
What should I do for tail melts? Aquarium 26 degrees. there is a heater anubias hagen black sand dragon stone in the aquarium.
The water I use in the aquarium is packaged water and 7.0 ph.
I did a 30 percent water change every 9 days.
my tank is 9 liters and 20 liters

How many Bettas do you have and are they in separate tanks?

What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water?
What sort of filter is on the tank/s?
How often and how do you clean the filter/s?

What other fish are in the tank?

---------------------

The black edging to the fin is normally chemical or ammonia burns. It's like bruising in people.

The piece missing from the top half of the tail looks like a bite.

---------------------

Check the water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate any day you have an ammonia or nitrite reading above 0ppm, or a nitrate reading above 20ppm.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

I don't have equipment to read ammonia and nitrite.
full red fish in 4 gallon tank
red blue fish 2 gallon tank

The two are in separate tanks. There was nothing in the tail of the red blue fish yesterday. The blue red fish was standing upside down yesterday. When I woke up in the morning, I noticed a change in his tail like a bite. I did the water change.

Just keep doing big daily water changes for a week and see how it goes.

If you go near a pet shop, take a glass full of tank water with you and get them to test it. Write the results down in numbers when they do the test, then post the results here.

Do you have filters in the tanks or are they bare tanks without filters?
Ammonia problems are common in tanks without filters and if you don't have a filter, then get some live floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) to grow on the surface. It will help reduce ammonia and keep the water cleaner for longer. You should also reduce feeding to once every second fay if you don't have filters. And do big water changes 4-8 hours after feeding. This will dilute any nutrients from the food or waste.

I don't have a filter.
I feed enough for the fish to eat in one go. Should I add a bacterial culture to the water I just added?

My other bettas also started to lose their tails. The betta in the photo is a ich white spot today. Does the 30 degree temperature bother him?

There's not really any point adding bacterial cultures unless you have a filter. I would just add some live plants, reduce feeding and do more water changes.

I read that it is necessary to increase the temperature in ich white spot disease.

You can treat white spot by raising the water temperature to 30C (86F) and keeping it there for 2 weeks, or at least 1 week after all the spots have gone.

However, Bettas don't normally get white spot because they are kept on their own, and white has to be introduced into the aquarium from an infected fish, or contaminated water, plants or onrmanets.

Have you added anything to their tanks in the last 2 weeks?
If not, then it's unlikely to be white spot.

If you want to err on the side of caution and treat it for white spot, just use the 30C temperature. You don't need any medications and the Bettas will be fine at 30C for a couple of weeks.

If you can post a picture of the fish, we might be able to identify the spot.

I took my bettas with torn tails to another aquarium. I did a 50% water change. I didn't put any gravel in the subfield.

I put the super red betta in another aquarium as a precaution. I did a water change. there was no problem with his tail in the evening, they were all torn in the morning.

My nemo galaxy beta had a rip or bite-like thing on its tail. I did a 50% water change. I put it in a new 8 liter aquarium. I set the temperature to 26 degrees. When he woke up in the morning, he had a white spot. It has white spots for two days. The water is 28 degrees now.

I have another betta that I haven't attached a photo of. all my bettas in the house tore their tails at the same time.:facepalm: 7.0 * 7.5 ph water contract. I throw catappa leaves and alder cones in it. There is no chlorine in my water. I use market water. While using 7.0 ph water, their tails were torn, so I bought 7.5 ph water. There is anubias plant in the aquarium.

I'm updating. The super red betta in the photo is biting its own tail. I just found the tail part and the fish is very stressed.

A piece of tail that big is from being caught on something and ripped off, possibly by the rock in the tank. Aquariums with long finned fish should not have plastic plants, rocks with jagged edges or anything that can catch the fins and rip them.

-----------------

The red and blue betta does appear to have white spot. You need to raise the water temperature to 30C to kill the parasites. If the water is 28C, the parasites do not die and will simply reproduce faster and kill the fish sooner. So raise the temperature to 30C and keep it at 30C for 2 weeks.

-----------------

Depending on where you buy the water from, it could have anything in it including chlorine. If you are going to buy water, buy reverse osmosis or distilled water so you know it's free of chemicals, including chlorine/ chloramine.

If you contact your water supplier for your home, you can ask them what the pH, GH (general hardness) and KH (carbonate hardness) is. You can also ask them whether they add chlorine or chloramine to the water. You can look on their website for this information (Water Analysis Report) and post a copy of the report here for us to go through. If your tap water is suitable, it is usually cheaper to use a dechlorinator with tap water rather than buying water every week.

I use packaged market water. water ph: 7.5
aluminum ammonium iron 0
sulfate 1.25
sodium 3.1 mg liters
chloride 2.06 mg liters
My fish's temperature is 27 degrees. I use silica sand.I walked the fish in acriflavin water for 3 days. I saw him swallow the piece of his tail that fell to the ground.

I do 30 percent water changes twice a week.

I use packaged market water. water ph: 7.5
aluminum ammonium iron 0
sulfate 1.25
sodium 3.1 mg liters
chloride 2.06 mg liters

My fish's temperature is 27 degrees. I use silica sand. I walked the fish in acriflavin water for 3 days. I saw him swallow the piece of his tail that fell to the ground.

I do 30 percent water changes twice a week.

You might want to find a different water source. Sodium chloride is salt and is harmful to Bettas and most other freshwater fishes if they are exposed to it for any length of time (more than a month). You also want to avoid water with sulphates in.

If you don't have a filter on the tanks, do a 50-75% water change a couple of times each week. The bigger water changes will dilute nutrients more effectively.

Back
Top Bottom