My Black molly laid Eggs????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShadowFishy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so last night im in my room by my fish tank i look at it and notice that my black molly is missing i look in the house we have for the fish and there she is sitting on the bottom. when eny of the other fish try entering the house she turns aggresive and scares them out! so when she exects the house out comes an egg that was stuck to her? Every where I have looked sais that mollys dont lay eggs they just give birth?! so why is my Black molly laying eggs!. Oh and also scince she did lay eggs how long will it take for them hatch?

ShadowFishy said:
Ok so last night im in my room by my fish tank i look at it and notice that my black molly is missing i look in the house we have for the fish and there she is sitting on the bottom. when eny of the other fish try entering the house she turns aggresive and scares them out! so when she exects the house out comes an egg that was stuck to her? Every where I have looked sais that mollys dont lay eggs they just give birth?! so why is my Black molly laying eggs!. Oh and also scince she did lay eggs how long will it take for them hatch?

She could have just aborted her fry! What other fish do you have and what is the tank size

Ok other than the black molly---I have 1 more black molly (female) 1 dalmation molly (Male) 1 Orange lyratail molly (female) and 1 Long finned red tetra (Unkown) and 2 snails

Im getting the tetra his friends some time this week and the tank is a 20g

Molly's don't lay eggs. They give birth to live young. It can possibly be ick. Does it look like salt sprinkled on the Molly. How are you water parameters. Ammonia, nitrite,nitrate. Ick can be caused by the fish being stressed.

it isnt ick i know that for a fact the dots are yellow not white and there not on the fish there in the house in a fine pile

+my fish had ick a couple months ago so i know what it looks like.

Can you take a pic? And tetras need a group if 6. They are schooling fish.
Do you even have snails or maybe live plants?

It is possible that the molly had a miscarriage and is now disposing of the ruined eggs. Any eggs that come out of a molly will very, very likely not hatch and will rot away or be eaten.

Sounds like she aborted the pregnancy, I had a guppy who gave birth to what almost looked like babies except almost all of them had this yellow sack on them, which later I found out they live in the sack inside the mom, she gave birth prematurely and died shortly after, only 2 of them lived. I wouldn't expect them to hatch/live :( I'm sorry.

#1=i would take a pic exept the fact my camra is a killer to memory and it wouldnt upload to the sight (ill try tiny pic though) and tetras actualy these spacific kind like living with 3 or more so i can only fit 3 more in the tank any way

#2=that seems like the most logical explenation ill try and get that pic for you guys.

Just keep a good eye on her if you can move her so the other fish don't stress her more it would probably be helpful

ShadowFishy said:
tetras actualy these spacific kind like living with 3

No specific breed of tetra likes living into groups of three. It sounds like a long finned serpae tetra.

they do like odd numbers 3 being one of them. every tetra is that way.

they could also be long finned bloodfins, even a lf rosy barb or lf cherry barb. some stores sell barbs as tetras

ilostnemo said:
they do like odd numbers 3 being one of them. every tetra is that way.

3 fish can barely school together, they should be in a group of 6.

Yes 6 or more making it an odd number. I have 8 neon tetras and they stay in 7. 1 is always left behind

o.jonathan.o said:
Yes 6 or more making it an odd number. I have 8 neon tetras and they stay in 7. 1 is always left behind

Thats so weird!! My LF Serpaes never do that.

sometimes, some of the eggs don't get fertilized by the male, at least that's what happened to me, they just didn't get fertilized, i guess got some eggs and some fry... but could also be aborted if you don't have any fry...

Cichildlife said:
sometimes, some of the eggs don't get fertilized by the male, at least that's what happened to me, they just didn't get fertilized, i guess got some eggs and some fry... but could also be aborted if you don't have any fry...

Mollies are live bearers so nothing would have fertilized the eggs anyways. The molly mostly likely aborted her pregnancy like mentioned many times before. Mollies are like guppies. Give birth to live fish and get pregnant. Other fish get gravid and filled with eggs. Their are more fish that give live birth I am pretty sure but ya.

Back
Top Bottom