My Bristlenose Pleco Kills my Gourami

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jenny420

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I decided to start my little 10 gallon aquarium back up a few months ago, the first fish I went and bought was Waldo, a tiny bristlenose pleco.

I figured that he would be at home in the tank, with the driftwook, and plants.

Well, the first few days of him being home, he just hid... Later I noticed that he made a little cave under is driftwood, and there is a cavity in the center of it, so you can imagine that its pretty roomy for his little 1 and a half inch self.

After a week or two, I noticed that my amazon sword plants were getting eaten, and the bulbs were stashed in his little cave. Some had huge holes chewed into them, I also noticed the ramshorn snail population SHARPLY decline.

So now that the only plants alive are the dwarf lillies and a pinch of java moss, my tank looks pitiful... I thought I would bring home a friend for him. The petstore guy that sold me Waldo told me that the little dwarf gourami could hold his own even if Waldo got aggressive.

The first few months of Waldo and Clint the gourami went well. Waldo stayed hidden, and waited for me to feed him and turn the lights off. Clint was just a fish full of personality, always swimming to the side of the tank I was on, and spitting water occasionally. He would even jump a little to get a bloodworm from my fingers.

Well I started noticing Waldo try to latch onto Clint, it wasn't that Clint was invading his space, Waldo would follow Clint and wait until he got just close enough to attack. Clint always swam away, and I never noticed any big behavior changes.

Well this morning I went to the aquarium to feed Clint, but he disappeared. I checked the floor, the filter, behind rocks, under the driftwood, and everywhere else. I thought that I was experiencing some sort of fish rapture here, until I saw Waldo peek from behind the heater and raise his little fins at me. So it dawned on me to look INSIDE of the driftwood, and sure enough, there Clint was, with little circle marks where his scales has been ripped off, stuffed into a crevice of the driftwood.

So my question is, why is Waldo so mean? He killed three feeder guppies before Clint even entered the picture... >.<' Also, why does he hide everything so well? He even hides algae wafers, and little pieces of vegetables I give him in his cave.

Maybe I have some particular strain of BN pleco that is more aggressive?
He is normally colored darkish gray-brown, with a mixture of little tiny darker dots, and blotches towards his tail, and his tail has a white tip on it.

He grows really fast too.

I think I may name him Bundy, or Gaskins.

Some plecos will suck the slime coat off of fish. This weakens and can kill them. You need to have fish that are fast enough to always keep away from the plecos. In my experience, watching my husband's tank go through this, the pleco would only attach himself to a) a fish he could catch easily or b) a sick fish.

A 10 gallon tank is not large enough, in my opinion, for either of these species. I'm sure the gourami just couldn't get away.

Jenny420 said:
When I decided to start my little 10 gallon aquarium back up a few months ago, the first fish I went and bought was Waldo, a tiny bristlenose pleco.

I figured that he would be at home in the tank, with the driftwook, and plants.

Well, the first few days of him being home, he just hid... Later I noticed that he made a little cave under is driftwood, and there is a cavity in the center of it, so you can imagine that its pretty roomy for his little 1 and a half inch self.

After a week or two, I noticed that my amazon sword plants were getting eaten, and the bulbs were stashed in his little cave. Some had huge holes chewed into them, I also noticed the ramshorn snail population SHARPLY decline.

So now that the only plants alive are the dwarf lillies and a pinch of java moss, my tank looks pitiful... I thought I would bring home a friend for him. The petstore guy that sold me Waldo told me that the little dwarf gourami could hold his own even if Waldo got aggressive.

The first few months of Waldo and Clint the gourami went well. Waldo stayed hidden, and waited for me to feed him and turn the lights off. Clint was just a fish full of personality, always swimming to the side of the tank I was on, and spitting water occasionally. He would even jump a little to get a bloodworm from my fingers.

Well I started noticing Waldo try to latch onto Clint, it wasn't that Clint was invading his space, Waldo would follow Clint and wait until he got just close enough to attack. Clint always swam away, and I never noticed any big behavior changes.

Well this morning I went to the aquarium to feed Clint, but he disappeared. I checked the floor, the filter, behind rocks, under the driftwood, and everywhere else. I thought that I was experiencing some sort of fish rapture here, until I saw Waldo peek from behind the heater and raise his little fins at me. So it dawned on me to look INSIDE of the driftwood, and sure enough, there Clint was, with little circle marks where his scales has been ripped off, stuffed into a crevice of the driftwood.

So my question is, why is Waldo so mean? He killed three feeder guppies before Clint even entered the picture... >.<' Also, why does he hide everything so well? He even hides algae wafers, and little pieces of vegetables I give him in his cave.

Maybe I have some particular strain of BN pleco that is more aggressive?
He is normally colored darkish gray-brown, with a mixture of little tiny darker dots, and blotches towards his tail, and his tail has a white tip on it.

He grows really fast too.

I think I may name him Bundy, or Gaskins.

Are you feeding your Pleco ? They normally don't eat plants or act aggressive so I wonder if he's really hungry ?

A 10g is small for a Bristlenose ? I would use a Pitbull Pleco or Ottos, but that's me.

I feed veggies, gel food and algae wafers to Plecos. Plus bloodworms and flakes to the species that need meat.

Thats very strange, considering I have a BN pleco with a DG and many other fish. Its the most docile fish ever, dosn't eat any of my plants, or attacks any fish. You might of gotten a rare aggressive fish with a taste for slimecoats.

I never knew that a 10 gallon would be too small for him. Everyone I have ever spoke to about a bristle-nose said that as long as I don't have many other fish in there, it shouldn't be too small.

I could understand the space being too small for a regular pleco, lol... We had one that lived about 12 years, and grew to an enormous size in the pond outside. He was like some almost two foot long dinosaur.

Waldo is rather tiny, and even his siblings and parents only were about four inches max.

I feed him, and he takes everything that I give him to his cave. Algae wafers, pieces of zucchini, and anything else solid enough for him to carry around. Plus he chews on the driftwood almost all of the time. He has also grown about half an inch since I got him, I just know he isn't hungry.

I think the problem may be that I had him alone in there for such a period of time, that he sees the whole tank as his personal space. Maybe he thought Clint tasted really good too.

If you feel its territorial (never heard of BN pleco's being territorial, but still), then move all of your decoration around. Flip your Driftwood, move it to the other side, change everything as much as possible. But if its just eating slimecoats, that is probably a different issue completly. He might of developed a taste for it from the place you bought him from.

Just because he is so mean I re-named him Gaskins, after a famous serial killer from around here.

I did do some re-arranging, and at the moment, he is angrily moving the gravel to make another cave under the driftwood. I also took his collection of amazon sword bulbs that he was chewing on.

I don't really want to risk losing another fish to him, because he seems really happy in his home by himself. Since there aren't any other fish, I haven't seen him on any lunging sprees. (He would come out of the cave to dart around like a little guard-fish occasionally pausing just to "flex")

He is definitely unique. -__- I really do need to go buy some new plants though...

@JetaJocky, yeah, I am sure, I have watched him do everything. There is a possibility that the DG accidentally decided to sleep near or in his cave, in that case, I can imagine that it may have gotten stuck. Still, last night, both fish were perfectly healthy, I noticed the pleco trying to suck the gourami, but nothing too aggressive, and nothing that the gourami couldn't swim away from..

BN plecos are not known to eat the slime coat of other fish, which is one reason why many discus keeper who often have fish valued at $300 or more each have no hesitation to put them in the same tank. Fish behaviors will range within a species though and your pleco COULD be aggressive, though it isn't likely. My very first thought when reading this was that you aren't feeding enough, which it appears that many others have picked up on as well. Even a hungry fish will act in desperation to survive and going after your gourami could have been just that.

As far as the plants go, you don't KNOW that the pleco is eating them. Many plants are grown in an emerged (out of water) state in Florida greenhouses in high humidity. Amazon swords and many other Amazonian plants have two types of leaves: ones for under water and ones for out of water (think of the dry seasons). If grown out of water and then placed into water, the emerged growth will die off and immersed leaves will take their place. Most likely this is what is happening. Also, they are high nutrient demanding plants and they require high amounts of light as well. If you don't have that for them, they will begin to die and a starving pleco will feed on it as will the ramshorns. Some ramshorns will feed on live plants from what I've heard and read, though most types do not and are plant friendly.

These are those aponogeton bulbs that you can buy a pack of at walmart, and hope that they grow. Sorry, I mis-named them. Either way, they were growing well, then they got eaten. I personally never saw the pleco eat the leaves, only the bulbs.

I don't understand how he is hungry, I feed him algae wafers and pieces blanched veggies.

I have seen him eat those baby snails that don't really have shells yet. He leaved the adults alone though from what I have seen.

Do you guys think that I should just rehome him?

I know several people with larger tanks, but I honestly don't know how he would adjust to being in a community tank, with lots of fish.

I do actually, I need to get a recent one of him, because the only picture I have that is visible enough to see him is when I first got him. His markings have actually changed a little since then.

img_1799761_0_a144aa444221526ff2025ef763fb31e8.jpg

Is he camouflaged with the wood? I may be wrong but that doesn't look like a bristle nose to me in that picture but it is kind of hard to tell with the wood in the background.

Well that was just what he looked like all of the time. He isn't old enough to develop bristles yet, (but I am starting to see little tiny bristles forming on his face)

The only thing that changed about him, is that he now has these tiny lighter dots, and a tip of white on his dorsal. That and he got a little longer and broader.

It looks like it has four fins to me, If that's true it looks like a butterfly pleco?

could you get a better picture? Perhaps net him against the glass?

I put him/her in a little tupperware container long enough to get a good look at him/her with the camera. I personally think he/she is gorgeous, which is why I don't mind him/her being the only fish in the tank... I don't know if y'all can see the tiny little bristles on his/her face but here he/she is in detail.

img_1799841_0_94b9c1ab29a0f61273d4619dcfbc7acf.jpg

img_1799841_1_7c39caa6fd463eccbae89030ef14d5a9.jpg

Back
Top Bottom