my cichlid mix

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joel618

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am about to stock my mbuna tank. My mix is going to he 4 yellow labs, 4 damasoni, 4 hongi, and 4 rusty cichlids. Along with 4 synsodontis multi and an albino bristle nose pleco. Sound compatible? Any suggestions?

Demasoni won't work in a group of 4; you need at least 10 to spread the aggression around or there will quickly be 1. Maingano would be a better option for a blue fish provided the tank is large enough and suitably set up/maintained.

We need to know your tank size to answer if this is compatable or not. Also make sure you only stock 1/3 of your total stock at a time. ( Some people say less but as long as you are properly cycled this shouldn't be a problem.)

It is a 75 gallon with 2 emperor 400 filters. I have 4 inch flower pots for some caves along with several rock structures. The tank has been properly cycled and the substrate is black argonite and smooth pebbles.

Also from what Ive read mainago are pretty aggressive too. Any other suggestions? I would like to get a good color mix.

Maingano's (m. cyanorhados) are generally less aggressive than demasoni's (however, the motivations among individual fish may vary). Conspecific aggression among demasoni's is typically greater.

One can keep a group of four maingano's in gender ratio comprised of 1m/3f; keeping 4 demasoni's in the same ratio (1 male with 3 females) will likely lead to decimation of three of them by the strongest among them.

While they probably don't look it, yellow labs and hongi's are members of the same genus. While hybridization between the two species isn't likely in the groups you plan to have them in, fights between the males of each species may spar with each other (my male yellow labs and male l. mbamba's, which have a remote resemblence to demasoni's, did NOT get along). (my demasoni especially didn't like the mbamba's).

If planning to stock an albino BN pleco, I highly recommend that it be the very first fish in the tank (as opposed to the last fish). The brown variety may fare better than the albino variety since they don't stand out (albino BN's might attrack mbuna attention).

A fairly peaceful species to consider is Pseudotropheus sp. acei.

i have to agree with what others have said, i had to return what i suspect was a young demasoni, he would constantly hassle other fish like my elec yellows.

ive got 4 maingano's approx 2-3 " long, they will hold their own if hassled, even against much bigger fish. but (touch wood) they arent aggressive toward others. they just stand their ground very well.

I wasn't trying to argue. I was dumb and confused. Lol. What about labidochromis gigas mara rock? Im not trying to be difficult, im trying to get fish that the store im getting them from will have, but that's not a requirment. I am open to any suggestions. The pleco is already in the tank along with a very small yellow lab. What would you stock In a setup such as mine? I have another tank I can move this pleco to and get a brown one for this tank.

Oblivion said:
i have to agree with what others have said, i had to return what i suspect was a young demasoni, he would constantly hassle other fish like my elec yellows.

ive got 4 maingano's approx 2-3 " long, they will hold their own if hassled, even against much bigger fish. but (touch wood) they arent aggressive toward others. they just stand their ground very well.

Awesome I will def consider them then. They would make a nice addition.

totally understand mate, no offence meant in anyway. just going by my own brief but steep learning curve.

one of the parts i love most about cichlids is also one of the hardest to get right, that you can get a bunch of cichlids all brothers and sisters hatched at the same time, one will be the best, friendliest fish you'll ever own. another can be a complete and utter jerk.
they all have their own little personalities :) but it can make choices hard as peoples experiences will vary.

i couldnt tell you exactly what will work with what, im honest enough to admit i dont have that experience. i can only advise on whats worked for me or lfs display tanks ive seen

what i do though is check the cichlid-forum profiles page to get an idea of what im buying.

it sounds like your going with a lake malawi tank, so i'd try stick with fish from that location only. (i learnt the hard way ;) )
it tells you things like full grown size, aggression, etc.
ive used it to rule out a few fish in the past

ok so i guess its back to the drawing board. Anyone have suggestions on what 4 malawi cichlids i should mix? im not opposed to ordering fish, i just want everything to coexist.

I usually stick to 3 species in 4ft. tanks but you could do like Saulosi, Afra Cobue, Hongi, and Rustys would be a great color and lower aggression mix.

So i have made up my mind (unless told im wrong, lol).

7 yellow labs
7 ice blue greshakei
5 or 6 synodontis petracola (on their way)
1 albino bristlenose pleco (already in tank)

Sound Good?

I don't see any issues with those fish but will warn you about female ice blues are one of ugliest females when it comes to mbuna, they're a drab brownish color. So if your sticking with Metriclima I'd look for cobalts or into something like socolofi.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom