My community tank.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Clifford_69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125l tank with an external filter. And I am wondering if the fish I have will get along for the long run.

I have....

1 small angel fish
3 clown loaches
2 swordtails
1 bristlenose plec

And last but by no means least my betta.

They all get along fine but someone told me when the angel fish gets larger he could attack the betta??

Any info would be greatly appreciated as this is my first tropical tank ( cycled for a month all was good when tested)

Thanks

In a roughly 33g tank the clown loaches will eventually outgrow it and need a much larger tank considering the size they can attain. The only good thing is they are slow growers. Swords, especially if you have males can be problematic as they grow so you will have to watch them about nipping at the Angelfish's feelers. Also male Swords can grow up to 5". As for the Betta a lot will depend on it's temperament and the Angelfish's. If the Angel is small and the Betta is mellow it can work fine. I have 3 male Betta's in my 220g planted tank with 9 huge breeding Angelfish. It would be a good idea to heavily plant the tank with real or fake plants to break up the line of sight. The Swords could also pick on the Betta depending on their temperaments. So basically all you can do is try this stocking but you need to monitor the tank for aggression and have a backup plan ready in the event any fish have to be removed from the tank.

They seem really good at the moment, I did buy 2 balloon mollies but they nipped the bettas fins a lot so I took them back.

I'll keep a close eye, hopefully all will be well.

I took the swordtails back as they kept harassing each other and replaced them with a pair of dwarf gourami.

All is happy at the moment, apart from the amount of waste my plec produces! He's a machine!

Back
Top Bottom