My Conundrum

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tacit Blues

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So come close and listen to my tale of woe...

Ok, not woe, exactly, but I do have a bit of a story and I'd love to hear any advice you aquarium people could give me.

I have an old Oceanic aquarium that I had as a kid, bought used at a yard sale, that's around 55 or 58 gallons (it's 36x18x21.5, or so), with holes drilled and an overflow box installed, with an Amiracle trickle filter down below (I think it was a saltwater tank before I got it but I always had it set up as freshwater). When I went away to college in 2006, my parents gave away my fish and it's been sitting empty since 2007. Recently I got bit by the aquarium bug again, so I went out to the shed to look over the old guy.

It was... well, it wasn't that pretty. The lid was broken, a lightbulb was missing, and the glass was pretty roughed up all around, enough so that they would still be visible in if it was filled with water. In a fit of curiosity I pried out the old black backdrop that was siliconed on the inside (what's the worse that could happen?) that I had never liked. In doing so, of course, the seals around the seams were beat up a bit.

One thing lead to another, and pretty soon I had the caulk removed from half the back and was contemplating removing the overflow box to keep going, because my research led me to believe that once you start removing caulk you have to do the whole thing. When I found myself reading about how to polish scratches out of glass and pricing buffing compounds, reality set in and I decided that maybe I should look into a new aquarium before I got into a project that would preclude ever having, y'know, ACTUAL FISH.

I figure that hey, even if I buy a new aquarium, my old one will still be around to tinker with!

But this, of course, presented me with a new problem. The "shiny new toy" problem. The "should I try to find something that will work with my current stand and filter" problem. I find myself still rather in love with the overflow filter, but you can't really find many tanks with the same footprint of the Oceanic stand that are drilled for the overflow filter, at least, not local (or affordable) as far as I can tell. Seems that there are 40gallon breeder tanks that would fit on my stand, at least, but they seem short and lack the "presence" of my taller tank.

Otherwise I seem to be left with going for a completely new setup. One of the local Big Box Petcomarts had a pretty sharp looking 46 gallon bow front combo, or a 27 gallon cube tank that would fit in the space I have in an interesting and aesthetic fashion--and of course, there's everything else in between. If I go the "new" route I'd like to stick with something not too much smaller than my old tank, but still like it to have some sort of the aforementioned "presence" beyond a simple rectangular standard tank. And if anyone had ideas for somehow using the filter I already have rather than having to buy a new HOB or something, I'm all ears.

So I guess that was a pretty exhaust(ive/ing) way of explaining where I'm at. Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear any thoughts!

TL;DR version--Is it worth trying to fix up the old beat up Oceanic, are there any recommendations to replace it completely, and is it worth trying to figure out how to use its old overflow filter and/or stand with a new tank?

That was indeed a mouth full.

Here is a pic of my 72G Oceanic with a matching stand came with almost everything used but looked new, and then I fixed up the inside and whahoo, it was a beauty!!! $200. was supposed to be a $400. deal but the guy had to move it fast sooooo......deal! Including an Fluval FX-5 canister filter. This one is around 5-6 years old from what I understood from the previous owner.

60074-albums11380-picture65587.jpg

My thoughts are if you want to play with your old tank do it, caulking isn't too bad of a thing. A few scratches, no big.

Just think, you might be able to find a great deal used, my DD just bought a 46G bowfront with stand and stuff (no fish) for $75. So good deals are out there.

I love my Oceanic tank and it seems very solid and of course, awesome!!! lol.

Let's see if this works or not, trying to post a pic of some of the scratches from my phone ... with new forum interface, so who knows what's going to happen:

95267-albums14136-picture67555.jpg

There are... quite a few of them. Some are definitely feel-able with a fingernail, so I think they're beyond hope, but it seems some people (not all, but some) say that buffing with Cerium Oxide paste and a lot of elbow grease can get a lot of them out, and I know they won't be as bad with water behind them. I don't know what I was doing back when, but I seem to have been vigorous. I just would hate to put the effort into resealing it only to have it be all scratched up still.

Oh thanks haha, I tried googling and I was so confused trying to figure out what you guys were talking about, But now i can offer a little comment. I always love a good DIY project and nothing feels better than producing something with your own 2 hands and seeing the finished project in my opinion

Yes that is very scratched up. I would go for a newer version. You can always use that one as a QT (or fry tank if you end up doing a breeding idea) if it doesn't leak.

The tank is just a container and it doesn't matter to the fish if it is scratched. You could caulk then use it to get the BB started and while you collect all the things you need and really want.

If you are able to just go online and buy everything you are gonna need more or less at one time frame, then get it done already! lol

Are you thinking FW? Your selection of tank goodies will depend on which you choose FW or SW.

Anyway it for sure looks like you were a vigorous cleaner back when.:lol:

Yeah, freshwater! What I really am thinking about is a natural-looking Neon tank--and that is actually the downside with the overflow filter, that all the small fish (especially the Danios I had) would always jump over the edge and I'd have to fish them out again, so a new tank would probably be better for that anyway (I was planning on rigging up some mesh or screening if I set up the old tank).

I was pricing out what I think it would cost to get the Oceanic back up to serviceable condition--need a new lid/portion of lid, caulking, light, heater, possibly a new pump (I seem to remember the old one was having problems), maybe the glass polishing stuff just to see what happens, and I was coming up with a number roughly equivalent to the new tanks I was looking at (they were all kits with the stand, lid and/or light hood, so I could pick out my own filter). Either way I would have to spend probably the same amount on substrate and incidentals (I still have what I used from before, but it was black/lime green clown puke and fake logs that no longer have any paint on them).

I like the idea of getting the old guy up and running again, but Autumnsky you've about convinced me to think it might be time to cut bait and bite the bullet and other quaint folk sayings and just get a new tank. And like I said earlier, it's not going to go anywhere and I could still tinker with it if I wanted to...

Another question, in that vein: Where do you go most of the time online to find aquarium stuff? It seems like a lot of the websites don't show all the stuff that the manufacturers make, and the manufacturers don't tell you prices...

Mostly the dreaded Cr****List, or local people. My stuff mostly came as a set though I have had to buy pieces as they failed or aren't what I was looking for.

New stuff from petcosmart depending on what it was. Usually it a situation of needing to buy something right now. I don't live very close to independent lfs. Twice as far away as other options.

Amazon or Pet** for the substrate, ECO Complete. Included shipping where lfs wanted double the price plus $2. I always try to support lfs, but if I know what I want and don't need to kick the tires, I order what I want. If I have to ask the questions and get the training, I bite the bullet and pay the extra for the help, training and advice.

The lfs sometimes have larger units for good deals. Since they take up so much space often they are happy to move them along. If you do that don't be afraid to try and wheel and deal! Ask for some fish for a part of the value of the tank or what ever they might be up to offering. Who doesn't like a little give and take? (Thought I would add a few idioms too, just for fun.)

Hey, PM'd you about a tank I just saw you might like!!!

Oh I also know of a guy who has a kit to make around a 100G bowfront tank. He has several sets of this glass.

Last edited:
Hmmm... there's not a lot of tanks in my area on CL that aren't either huge saltwaters or "you have to take the fish, too." Though there's a really weird 20 gallon 6ft tall tower aquarium with a "Classic Clock and Handsome Brass Hands."

Think it's maybe time to go back to the fish store...

Hmmm... there's not a lot of tanks in my area on CL that aren't either huge saltwaters or "you have to take the fish, too." Though there's a really weird 20 gallon 6ft tall tower aquarium with a "Classic Clock and Handsome Brass Hands."

Think it's maybe time to go back to the fish store...

What is your maximum width?

36" is about as much as I can go. I could come out a little bit more than the 18" of the oceanic, but not much more, and I would prefer not to. Went spelunking in the crawlspace to see where it is relative to the supports and where I want it is right next to one, so the weight shouldn't be a problem, at least.

36" is about as much as I can go. I could come out a little bit more than the 18" of the oceanic, but not much more, and I would prefer not to. Went spelunking in the crawlspace to see where it is relative to the supports and where I want it is right next to one, so the weight shouldn't be a problem, at least.

40G /36" Breeder tank is an awesome foot print. The 46G is 36" and a really great tank, of course!!! Good luck in your search. And it can get creepy in the crawl space, glad you made it out alive :lol:.

Curious to see what you will come up with...

Yeah, I had my coveralls on with a mask and gloves. Had a few other chores to do down there, so I tried to get the maximum bang for my buck. Lots of old fiberglass insulation that's fallen down... pretty nasty!

My problem now is that it seems I can't find the right combination of what I want. Seems anything big enough to fit on my stand comes with a stand, and my desire for a tank with some sort of "presence" is keeping me from falling in love with the smaller tanks. I asked around today at all the places in town that sell aquariums, and only the lady at the smallest local store could order tanks that she otherwise doesn't keep on hand... but her distributor no longer carries any bow front tanks, which is what I was leaning toward!

You'd think with four fish stores of various flavors to choose from there'd be a little bit more selection...

Ok, I'll stop ranting and go to bed to sleep on it now!

Ok, thinking about it for a day, and I think maybe I've narrowed it down to a few(ish) choices. One of the big box pet stores has an Aqueon 45 + stand + hood, that I would ditch the hood and get a glass lid for, and they have a 46 bowfront kit with stand and glass lid and (more than likely subpar, being kits are mostly lowest common denominator) LED lights. That's right in the range of the size I am looking for. Or, I'm sure the little fish store can order either a 45 gallon (same width as my stand, but 5" narrower) or a 65 gallon (same footprint as the Oceanic) that I could just put on my stand (though the 45 would maybe look kind of funny with all the space in back). But doing that would mean that I wouldn't have any way to set up my old tank if I ever get around to cleaning it up. And the last option would be to just keep trolling Craigslist for ages and ages, hoping and hoping...

Getting a new tank is always exciting, but there is nothing like the old Oceanics. I have 3.

Have you considered putting a wanted ad on CL stating what you are looking for? You are not the first person to go off to college and leave their aquarium in a shed :) I did that once when I wanted a really big tank and ended up getting a free 75 and 100 long for $100 out of the deal. People had them and had been MEANING to get rid of them but didn't act till they saw my ad. It might be worth a shot.

I was talking to my mom about this and she said something to the effect of "Yeah, I remember telling you go go scrub it out when I bought it for you, went around the corner and the next thing I knew you were out with the hose and scrubbing it with a cloth that had dirt and sand in it."

In my defense it had been a saltwater set up and was pretty crusty... and I was a very diligent 12 year old.

Back
Top Bottom