My convict.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maddybrat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Boy or girl? And isn't it pretty?:)

Attachments

• image-3701952984.jpg
    image-3701952984.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 113
  • image-2865520216.jpg
    image-2865520216.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 107
  • image-1692465390.jpg
    image-1692465390.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 117
how old is it? (its hard to tell when they're really young)

hmm. thats a hard one. it has very long dorsal, and anal fins, which is a male trait. also it has a orange belly, which is a female trait.

That is a great picture to illustrate the depths of inbreeding in convicts, it portrays every known visual way to ID a male or female in the same fish. It looks like a male to me, since it's more uncommon for females to show long finnage than males showing a orange stomach. See if you can take a picture of the vent to be sure and post that.

Please don't take that a insult it's a great looking fish, just merely making a point on proper techniques to breed fish for retail.

Last edited:
The fishes genitalia region(their sex parts), males will have a pointed tube below their bellies and the female will have a blunter tube.

The fishes genitalia region(their sex parts), males will have a pointed tube below their bellies and the female will have a blunter tube.

It's High School Health Class with Hukit.

If it's any consolation, I struggled sexing my convict for 9 months until I decided it was more male than female.

Back
Top Bottom