My convicts had fry today what should I do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magikalgirl79

Aquarium Advice Regular
I picked up a couple of free convict cichlids, maybe 2 weeks ago. One is pink and the other has black and grey stripes. I just looked into the tank(20g by themselves) and there is swimming fry!!! I have no idea what to do. Should I leave them and let the parents(I assume) protect them or is there a way to make my own breeder? Closest fish store is 45 min away so not going to buy anything haha

Leave them with the parents they have a better chance. Fry that stay with parents are stronger and grow faster. Convicts are very good parents. If you see them scooping babies up don't worry they aren't eating them look closer and you will see they are picking the babies up and moving them somewhere else it's neat to watch.

If you have no means to sell/rehome the fry locally on sites such as Craigslist or a LFS then I'd cull the fry now, a 20g will quickly be overrun with convicts.

thanks so much I thought they were getting eaten for a second there lol I still can't believe they had fry! The guy I got them from had about 20-30 of them in a 10 g tank and wanted me to take more!! I told him 2 was just fine by me!! So glad I trusted my instincts haha

If you have no means to sell/rehome the fry locally on sites such as Craigslist or a LFS then I'd cull the fry now, a 20g will quickly be overrun with convicts.

Thanks! I'll probably have no issues re-homing them as the closest LFS is 45 min away so people around here will scoop them right up :)

Back
Top Bottom