my convicts *updated with pics*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoK

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a pink convict that has some black spots, never seen one like it before. She's still a bit small but I'm hoping she will breed with a regular striped male. I'd like to see what the babies will look like.
I assume there is nothing wrong with breeding a pink and striped convict together since they are the same species?
Also, does anyone know what most of the babies will probably come out to look like? More likely for more striped? Does the pink with black spots have only a very small possibility to pass on the the offspring?

I have two pink convicts that bred. The male had black spots and the female did not. About 50% of the fry acquired these black spots.

She should breed with the striped (they are not picky at all) but from what I understand it's not 100% positive. The fry would likely be a 50/50 mix, but it all really depends on genetics.

HTH

Re: my convicts

RoK said:
I have a pink convict that has some black spots, never seen one like it before. She's still a bit small but I'm hoping she will breed with a regular striped male. I'd like to see what the babies will look like.
I assume there is nothing wrong with breeding a pink and striped convict together since they are the same species?
Also, does anyone know what most of the babies will probably come out to look like? More likely for more striped? Does the pink with black spots have only a very small possibility to pass on the the offspring?
If I understand the genetics right...you have two possible outcomes, both depend on the genetics of the male...
IF the male carries a recessive gene for pink then about half of the fry will be pink and the other striped, but... if the male does not carry the recessive gene then the striped gene is dominant and will over rule any recessive pink gene passed on by the female... anyways breed then and see what happens.
my pair of striped convicts, both carry the recessive gene and about half there fry are pink...my pink females have orange undersides and dorsal fins :D

I know the pics aren't that great. The fish are still pretty small and the pics were taken at night. I'm really surprised how much orange the little female has.

The pink con with black spots:
img_606738_0_71809a167a8a8e7a52ccc3798d34ef82.jpg

The male striped:
img_606738_1_da3185e6d29de7125d2e68fa3db817e5.jpg

img_606738_2_5408554d9ad3abe66a77dc2ef83ae3d9.jpg

Devilishturtles said:
my pink females have orange undersides and dorsal fins

They won't always though. This is just what happens when they are ready to lay eggs. :)

After the eggs are laid, their tummies will go back to being pink.
how old do they have to be to be sexually mature? mine are on 3 months and about 3/4 inch long

Back
Top Bottom