My cory problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

builtf0rdtough

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I went to the store the other day and picked up two cories, and two guppies. One cory died the next morning, had to take it back and get another, well now yesterday another cory died, so there is one left and I cant figure out whats wrong. The LFS checked my water and it was fine, but why did they both die? Both my new guppies are just fine, swimming around and playing. The cory that is left seems ok, but has red lungs...which I thought was from high ammonia levels...but the ammonia isnt high in my tank as it is cycled properly. Any ideas? should I get another cory from this same LFS?

I wouldn't, could be bad stock since they died so quickly. Also how did you acclimate them? If you just floated them and then put them in that could be a cause too. What kind of corys did you get? They like to be in groups, so getting a few more would be good if you have the space. I have Pandas and their sides are often pinkish. At first I thought something was wrong but all my params are good and I've had them for a while, must just be their coloring. Also who knows what conditions your LFS had them in so it's possible their tanks weren't well maintained and the fish had been exposed to toxins for a long period.

yea I floated them for a half hour, then put them in the tank...how else should i do it? I thought thats how you did it..lol these are the ones mixed between panda and julee..theyve got two stripes and dots.

Float the bag for 15 minutes, then add a half cup or so of tank water to the bag. Wait 15 more minutes, add another half cup of tank water. Keep repeating that until the bag has about half tank water and half bag water, then net the fish out of the bag and put it in the tank. This way the fish gets acclimated to your water parameters as well as the temperature.

sweet deal. thanks for telling me that..lol I never knew to do that.

You wouldn't happen to use aquarium salt in your tank, would you? Cories are very sensitive to salt.

nope, no salt in my tank. the one cory thats still in there seems ok...maybe a little depressed being all alone with no other corys. but all the other fish are just fine.

Ah, that could be the reason, but hard to say for sure. Floating the bag acclimates the fish to the temp of your tank but if the tank water they are in is different than yours in other respects (hardness, PH, toxins, etc) then it can shock them. You can do it as suggested above or search youtube for "drip acclimation;" it's the best way.

I take that back, my last cory has now died. RIP my little buddies. I guess I wont buy anymore corys from this store? should I give them another try? the two guppies I bought are doing great, just having cory problems.

Do you treat your water for chlorine? I believe red gills can be a sign of chlorine in the tank.

That said my cories do have a little red around their gills, in particular the Julii and the Bronze so I wouldn't be rushing to any conclusions.

Don't give up, maybe try to obtain some slightly more mature cories and acclimatise them as per Alyxx's post.

yea, I love to cories. They are super fun to watch. I do treat the water for chlorine, before I put any water in I treat the water. I think Im going to try julies again, the ones I just had were the mix between pandas and julies.

I would do a drip method with any fish, I did my first batch of fish with the float and add water to the bag method... didn't go so well, they were stressed. But ever since I found the drip method and gave it a try haven't lost a fish! Just make sure to take your time (it takes some time :p) and let your fish enjoy the water of your tank. Mine always seem to love the new water and they will love your tank! :D

good deal, Im moving in april. I have no idea how Im going to move the tank and fish...without stressing them too much, or messing up my cycled tank...any thoughts?

builtf0rdtough said:
good deal, Im moving in april. I have no idea how Im going to move the tank and fish...without stressing them too much, or messing up my cycled tank...any thoughts?

Just make sure to keep ur filter media in water as well as the gravel. Buy fish bags and store the fish that way. Then just add everything back and drip acclimate the fish

it wont harm the fish by keeping them out of aerated water for that long?

Back
Top Bottom