My cycling problems...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squishyaimz

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all!

I posted a few weeks back, but since then ive had no improvement on my cycle.

The lowdown :
Axolotl tank (fishless cycle)
Heater to speed it up
PH is stable around 8
Im using the api master test kit
Im entering my 6th week of cycling today.

3 or so weeks ago my ammonia started dropping to 0. Ive been testing my nitrites and ammonia daily. For the past few days, my nitrites have now been turning this... weird purple colour which isnt even a colour on the chart. Its like a dulled 1ppm test almost. Like imagine it sits between the 0.50 and 1ppm on the api chart, but it doesnt QUITE match. Its definitely NOT as bright as it is when its 5ppm.
I would also like to say, as im writing this ive looked over at the test (its been left for approx 30-40 mins so definitely not an accurate reading, ive already done the 5 min reading which was that weird colour, but after 30 minutes it turns BLUE. It goes to 0-0.25. Is this a sign that it is actually working?)

My ammonia is also doing something funky - where it was dropping to 0 in 24 hours, now it takes 48 hours for it to drop to 0.
Every other day it goes between 0.25 and 1ppm instead of 0 .
I dont dose on those days, and then when its dropped to 0 I dose up to 2ppm (as advised by this group and another group to help my nitrites catch up)

Im a bit concerned that its now taking ammonia 48 hours to drop even though it WAS fine before, and I cant even really read my nitrite test.

My Nitrates had a spike a week or so back from 5ppm to 30ppm but have now dropped to 20pm.

Ive also done a test strip and both Nitrate and nitrites are bright pink. I know these strips arent that great but before they have been pale pink so something has definitely changed.

Ughh I really feel like this isnt working, no matter how many tell me to be patient!

Last edited by a moderator:
A fishless cycle is really a matter of patience. It typically takes 6 to 8 weeks to cycle a tank, but it could take much longer. You arent far off where i would expect it to be after 6 weeks.

The best way to speed up a fishless cycle is to introduce some filter media from an established filter. Perhaps you have a friend who keeps fish who could let you have some? Another option is to use a bottled bacteria product like Dr Tims One and Only. These products are hit and miss but might help.

Another option is to do 100% water change and move to a fish in (Axolotl in?) cycle. You will not be starting from scratch as you have built up some bacteria which will cycle your tank to some degree.

A fishless cycle is really a matter of patience. It typically takes 6 to 8 weeks to cycle a tank, but it could take much longer. You arent far off where i would expect it to be after 6 weeks.

First, thank you for merging my threads haha. I tried to go back and delete one but dont think I could. My internet messed up *facepalm*

Second, thank you for posting! So youre not worried about this weird nitrite thing thats happening?
I got told on my axolotl group to do a 60% water change as my nirtites are off the scale so maybe I should just go the whole way and do 100% like you said.

Also since posting this, I MIGHt have the reason for this weird nitrite spike and my nitrites being unable to eat all the ammonia...
When i first started I was using fish flakes instead of bottle ammonia. I am still finding remnants of fish flakes in my tank - could this be causing a spike? (Ive been removing them with small water changes whenever they settle on the bottom but until today, there was still loads as I didnt really think about it)

Personally i do water changes to keep water parameters within readable range during a fishless cycle. I dont think its necessary, but i like to keep parameters readable.

There might be a problem with your nitrite test if the colour looks weird. Have you repeated the test with the same weird result?

Yep, did the test yesterday, this morning and afternoon all with the same results. I thoroughly cleaned the tube and follow instructions to a T.

Dont really know whats going on with it! It happened once a week or so back but it didnt do it again until now. It usually just stays purple!

It seems obvious doesnt it haha but its because the colour doesnt really match... Hmm.

Im wondering why its struggling to eat the ammonia too. it jumps around from 0, to 0.25, to 0 , to 0.50. Its weird.

I guess ill do my best to remain patient and hopefully you wont hear from me until its cycled haha!

Back
Top Bottom