My cycling process

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris22

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello all, So ive started my 32gallon(37us) tank cycle now, here's what I did.
I tested my waters before I added any ammonia and got
Ammo 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 20-40ppm
So added 5ml of ammonia which was probably a little too much but it was my first time so I forgave myself lol, tested for ammo 20mins later and got 4-6ppm. I left it for a few days to hopefully let the magic happen.
tested 4days after adding the ammo and got this
Ammo 2.0ppm
Nitrite 0.25ppm
nitrate 20-40ppm
So since then I've been 'trying' to test everyday
Day 5 got
Ammo 1-2ppm
Nitrite 0.50-1.0ppm
Nitrate 20-40ppm
Day 7
Ammo 1.0ppm
Nitrite 5.0ppm :O
Nitrate 80ppm
Day 9
Ammo 0.50-1.0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 80ppm
Day 10
Ammo 0.50ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 80ppm
On day 11 I done a 20% water change which didn't do anything and added 3ml of ammonia, tested about an hour later and got
Ammo 2-4ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 40-80ppm
Day 12
Ammo 1.0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm Didn't test nitrate
Day 13 I done a 80% water change to try get the nitrite down to .5-1 tested the water 30mins after and got
Ammo 0.25ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 20ppm I was advised to top the ammonia up to 1.0ppm only, to try let the nitrite catch up so that's what I've done.
Day 14
Ammo 0.50ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 20ppm Topped ammo up to 1.0ppm
Day 15
Ammo 0.50-1.0ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm
Nitrate 20ppm
Day 16 (today)
Ammo 0.50ppm
Nitrite 5.0ppm
Nitrate 20ppm Topped ammo bk up to 1.0ppm and test again tomorrow, hopefully start seeing these nitrites go down soon. Let me know what you think :) thanks

Day 17
Ammo 0.50ppm
Nitrite 5.0+ppm (still)
Nitrate 20-40ppm colour jus starting to turn red. Any thoughts??

You might want to do a large water change to get those nitrItes down to a readable level, it seems they are off-chart now. If they stay that way too long it could stall the cycle. From your log it seems it's been about 10 days since the nitrites have spiked, is that right? If so you may want to do a water change like I said, but feel free to wait for a second opinion as I'm far from an expert. Congrats on your cycle progressing!

libraygirl said:
You might want to do a large water change to get those nitrItes down to a readable level, it seems they are off-chart now. If they stay that way too long it could stall the cycle. From your log it seems it's been about 10 days since the nitrites have spiked, is that right? If so you may want to do a water change like I said, but feel free to wait for a second opinion as I'm far from an expert. Congrats on your cycle progressing!

Hiya, I did a 80% water change about 4days ago and it had no effect on the nitrites whatsoever. Yeah about 10 days go the nitrites hit 5.0ppm. I'm gonna go get me a water changer now as I don't wanna be carrying alot of buckets lol. And thank you I hope ur cycling kicks in soon, I admire u for ur patients :)

That is impressive your nitrites must be through the roof. I would do another water change maybe two, You will want to get them back into a readable range. A python would be a great investment, best fish related item I have ever bought.

rich311k said:
That is impressive your nitrites must be through the roof. I would do another water change maybe two, You will want to get them back into a readable range. A python would be a great investment, best fish related item I have ever bought.

Yeah thats what im thinking, for me to do a 80% Pwc and no Change to the nitrites there must be alot of them badboys in there lol. I'm gonna go get me a water changer today, it's my gfs 20week scan today so I better go with her to that first lol. I'll let u know what happens when I do another pwc later. :)

I bought an Aqueon Water Changer yesterday, it was on sale at PetSmart (it's similar to the Python, just a different version) and it's the best thing I ever bought! No more buckets! Hook it up to the sink and drain and refill in no time. I highly suggest it!

It can take a lot of pwc to get the nitrites down if they are very high. I'm impressed you have nitrites already and more than jealous! LOL

Didn't buy a water changer they didn't have any :( gonna have a look online tonight see what I can find :)

I had the same issues with sky high nitrites....80% water changes had no effect. So i did 50% pwc over several days to finally get it down. Just finished my cycle in the last couple of days after about 5 weeks

tigerbarb fan said:
I had the same issues with sky high nitrites....80% water changes had no effect. So i did 50% pwc over several days to finally get it down. Just finished my cycle in the last couple of days after about 5 weeks

Think I'm gonna have to get the buckets out then lol, did it take long for your tank to cycle after this part?? Just curious as I'm fairly impatient lol :)

once I was able to get the nitrites down to a readable level, it was less then a week. but I did water changes for 2 days, then skipped a day then did 2 more, all of 50% each.

tigerbarb fan said:
once I was able to get the nitrites down to a readable level, it was less then a week. but I did water changes for 2 days, then skipped a day then did 2 more, all of 50% each.

I think I'm gonna try this, less than a week sounds good lol

Woohoo just done a 90% water change and my nitrites are now at, dum dum dum
.50-1.0ppm :) bit confused as to what to do now tho, do I top the ammonia which is now at 0.25ppm back up to 4.0ppm or 1.0ppm which I was doin to try lower the nitrites?? I'm guessing 4.0ppm. Any help will be appreciated :)

Before and after tests of nitrites after 90% water change.

Attachments

• image-1357864192.jpg
    image-1357864192.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 104
I'd only add 1-2ppm for the next 3 days to see if the no2 to no3 bacteria can catch up without being overwhelmed with the nitrItes piling up on them. After that 3 days though I'd bump it back up to 3-4 so the bacteria doesn't weaken from the lower levels.

I don't think you're too far away. That test tube should turn itself back to blue pretty soon :)

eco23 said:
I'd only add 1-2ppm for the next 3 days to see if the no2 to no3 bacteria can catch up without being overwhelmed with the nitrItes piling up on them. After that 3 days though I'd bump it back up to 3-4 so the bacteria doesn't weaken from the lower levels.

I don't think you're too far away. That test tube should turn itself back to blue pretty soon :)

Then that's my plan then :) really hope I'm not too far away. My gf is driving my ears mad with 'can we get fish yet?' and 'when can we get fish?' lol I'm sure I'm not the only one to have to listen to this daily lol I hope I'm not anyway lol. Thanks Eco :)

Chris22 said:
Then that's my plan then :) really hope I'm not too far away. My gf is driving my ears mad with 'can we get fish yet?' and 'when can we get fish?' lol I'm sure I'm not the only one to have to listen to this daily lol I hope I'm not anyway lol. Thanks Eco :)

Believe me when I say I know all about that. My most recent community tank was the worst, but luckily once you cycle the first one you've got lots of media to cycle others quickly. I cycled our Chi in about 10 minutes...she might have had a seizure if I made her wait for the Betta she wanted, lol.

eco23 said:
Believe me when I say I know all about that. My most recent community tank was the worst, but luckily once you cycle the first one you've got lots of media to cycle others quickly. I cycled our Chi in about 10 minutes...she might have had a seizure if I made her wait for the Betta she wanted, lol.

That's good to know I don't wanna be doing all this again anytime soon lol. 10mins, That's quick! Hahaha Glad to hear I'm not the only one who has to go thru it lol

Hey, jus done a water test after topping ammonia bk upto 1ppm and got
Ammo 0.25
Nitrite 5.0+ppm :(

Back
Top Bottom