My experience as a novice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdergar

Aquarium Advice Freak
Having just noticed that the designation under my user name has been bumped up from novice to activist it makes me realize a few things. Like many things in life there is more than one way to do something. And in the case of SW tanks there are numerous ways to do things. I found that research is the key to being successful (so far) and in the end saving money. I've realized that this is an expensive hobby. I've had impulses to pick up this coral, that fish, this tool and so on but resistance is NOT futile. I've discovered patience is the key. It's made me realize that taking the time lets me enjoy the whole process while learning more about each step and therefore being a smarter aquarium owner. It is so much more involved than my FW tank. Boy is it ever. But I like that. It's made me realize that I have to think about solutions.

This website and all the good people here are the key to my success so far and I'm sure my solutions down the road when I run into trouble. I post a question and sometimes within a few minutes I have an answer, a few more minutes and some more answers. I've discovered that when the answers are different that each must work for the individual and then I take a look and pick the method or solution that I think makes the most sense for me and my setup. I found that I am not ridiculed for simple questions that might seem idiotic to some but not to this group. I'm not shy about asking but asking at some LFS's and asking here is like night and day. There is one local store in a chain of LFS's here that just looks down on you for asking about information. Almost to the point of "I can't believe you're asking me that". High and mighty I guess. I don't frequent that store even though it's the closest.

So before this gets to be a book...I just want to say thanks so much for the information so far and I'll be counting on you all to keep me going.

Steve

That's what makes this place so great. Thanks for sharing your story.

Le me share my 10 rules that I've put together over the years here:

Rule # 1. Nothing Good ever happens Fast in a salt water aquarium
Rule # 2. Don't add anything (supplements/chemicals/minerals)you don't test for first.
Rule # 3. PWC (Partial Water Changes) are your friend, and cure many ills.
Rule # 4. QT EVERYTHING before adding it to your tank (mandarins excepted, corals should be dipped)
Rule # 5. Use only RO or RODI water (either buy it or make it)
Rule # 6. All animal species live longer on a 30% reduced caloric intake. Only feed every other day at most (fish species dependant)
Rule # 7. Hyposalinity is the best, safest, and most effective treatment for marine Ich (IMHO)
Rule # 8. A Refractometer is a MUST HAVE, not a luxury.
Rule # 9. Anemones will never live anywhere near their normal (aprox 30 years) lifespan in a home aquarium. Leave them in the ocean.
Rule # 10. The tank size recommendations for fish are there for a reason - HEED THEM!

Good luck and happy reefing!

wow..thanks peeps.
spongebobdance.gif

Back
Top Bottom