My fake plants are turning brown?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, if you get snails, even just one, chances are you will wind up with many, many, many babies, and that can sometimes get to be a problem, as much of a problem as the algae! 8O

Yes, if you get snails, even just one, chances are you will wind up with many, many, many babies

I know I had Malaysian (?) snails that reproduced like crazy, but I only have one mystery snail in each tank and there have yet to be any babies. No loaches or anything that would eat the small ones either.

The shell of the malaysian trumpet snail is extremely hard and it is difficult for snail-eating fish to eat them (my puffers extract the animal from the shell, leaving the shell behind!). If you have a mystery snail and no babies then you are fortunate/unfortunate, which ever way you look at it, as many will attest to having only one snail and getting babies anyway. Once I got TWO mystery snails and it took really forever for any babies to come out of it. I WANTED snails for my puffers and could not have them, and people who don't want them are the ones who get them. 'Twas ever thus.

I've read that algae have photosynthesis cycles that cannot just turn on/off easily and therefore require consistent light to grow. If you put your lights on a timer, one that has two on/off settings, then it will automatically turn lights on for say 3 hours, then off for 2 hours, then on 3, and finally off for the night. I have one that cost me $10, not digital, just place little arrows when I want the light on/off...easy. If you go with live plants, this won't impact them. Regular plants have a more sophisticated process that can photosynthesize immediately the light is on.

Also, just wanted to add another comment about the heater. In the winter, even in South Texas, does it get below 75 at night? If there's more than 4 degree difference between day and night, I would think a heater would still be necessary. A submersible is not highly visible and it self-regulates so you don't have to turn it on or off. Just set the thermostat to the temp you desire and it will turn itself on/off to keep the temp regular.

I'm with bettagirl on the timer. It really helps when you don't have to think about it, and those timers are cheap. I also agree that a heater is important, even in the summer the temp change between night and day can be stressfull.

I did actually end up getting a timer since I had to go out of town so I will just set it like bettagirl suggested. It outside air may get below 75 however the room with the tank in it never gets much below 80.

Back
Top Bottom