My fancy goldfish are dying off one by one

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya i mean their not breed to be fast their breed to be "fancy" so they get tired and rest at the bottom. Ive had plenty of fancy goldfish just up and kick the bucket for no reason whatsoever.

Woke up this morning to find another one dead, it's been months since the last died but this one showed some similar symptoms.

I noticed a few days ago it appeared to have symptoms of finrot, I added some salt to the water to help with this but it continued to worsen so I moved the fish to it's own tank where I added some treatment to the water. The finrot seemed to stop but the fish started having a cotton wool like substance growing on it and it's body became increasingly bent until it was unable to swim, then it died.

I'm worried there is still some kind of infectious disease affecting these fish. One possible reason for this fish falling victim is that it was the only one with telescope eyes and got less food than the others, so may have been weaker.

Some of the symptoms of columnaris seem to match:
- Cottony growth
- Fins disintegrate
- Rapid gill movement

Others I've not observed:
- White spots
- Lesions

Also not sure if bent spine is a symptom of columnaris or not, this doesn't seem to be commonly mentioned but has been present in all of my fish exhibiting problems.

Anti-biotics for fish are not available in the UK in the same way they are in USA, I'm not sure if a vet would be able to give me any or not.

Sounds like ick maybe fin rot

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Try to get a good gram negative antibiotic like kanamycin , if theres enough fish left to be worth the money for meds, and also treat for fungus with something like furan 2. You are gonna spend 20 bucks on meds no matter what if you want to save them at this point....

Back
Top Bottom