My figure eight puffer is really shy, won't eat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pufferlovalot

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm very new to these forums. About 4 days ago I bought a figure eight puffer. In case of an emergency I thought I would need something to turn to for advice. So here I am.

Anyway, I have had trouble feeding this little puffer, Spratly-as in Spratly Islands in SE Asia- because whenever I go near the tank he will run away. I try feeding him frozen krill+bloodworms, snails, and freeze dried river+white shrimp. I have also bought some "human" shrimp+mussels to cook as an occasional treat. But I can't feed him because he doesn't trust me. The only thing I got him to eat was a snail. But I don't have many snails so I want to wait for some eggs to appear before adding to diet. Also my water quality is decreasing as more and more food is left uneaten in tank. Is tere anyway I can cure his shyness. I'm scared he will die of starvation but he is really plump and looks healthy. He may be eating behind my back but if not i still want to cure his shyness please help:(

Just takes a little time, if you're having water quality issues with left over food in the tank just come back a half hour after you feed and scoop out what's left

I also have 2 figure eight puffers and what i do is defrost the worms or shrimp is a cup with a little but of water and put them into a 30ml syringe flush so no needle. and i suck up all of the worms or shrimp and hold it under the water and let out a little bit of food at a time near the fish and that was i control the amound and i know for sure they ate it has been working like a charm. you can get these flushes anywhere.

He won't just be subtle and don't move it then poke a little but out and wait till he comes. It works like a charm. Every time my fish see the syringe they all line up and I can keep track of who ate and what not its awesome.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool thanks Ill try it in the morning and tell you about it. Can you give me any other advice on these little guys. It's my first time.

Yeah sure they love alot of interaction my husband started to hand feed them shrimp and worms they absolutely love it.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

sometimes new fish can display that type of feeding behavior. with good water quality, a water change and few days take care of that issue. i have an angelfish that i added to my tank few weeks back. it wasnt eating at the beginning and now its waiting for the food to be dropped and practically chasing food.

Back
Top Bottom