My first 20 gallon freshwater!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So how's everything going? Did you get kuhli loaches? How's the nitrates?
Well, I didn't get the kuhli loaches yet, but I got a nice bunch of hornwort and it looks great. I found that my guppy's tail was being nipped and it was half gone. so I took it to my lfs where it will be nursed back to health and rehomed.

So I have about a dozen red cherry shrimp, about five really big ghost shrimp, two male red wag platys, one rubber nose pleco, and eight glowlight tetras. I will probably get the loaches tomorrow. Took parameters last night, after a 40% pwc, and nitrates finally down to 5!!

Well, I didn't get the kuhli loaches yet, but I got a nice bunch of hornwort and it looks great. I found that my guppy's tail was being nipped and it was half gone. so I took it to my lfs where it will be nursed back to health and rehomed.

So I have about a dozen red cherry shrimp, about five really big ghost shrimp, two male red wag platys, one rubber nose pleco, and eight glowlight tetras. I will probably get the loaches tomorrow. Took parameters last night, after a 40% pwc, and nitrates finally down to 5!!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!
Finally down to 5!!!! Achievement!! Lol.
The lfs actually took the hurt guppy back?!?! Most of my lfs say that you must heal the fish and then return it. I love hornwort because they are so easy to care for. Low light, no co2, no ferts, no root tabs, etc. and they are so easy to propagate.

Congrats!!!!!!!!!
Finally down to 5!!!! Achievement!! Lol.
The lfs actually took the hurt guppy back?!?! Most of my lfs say that you must heal the fish and then return it. I love hornwort because they are so easy to care for. Low light, no co2, no ferts, no root tabs, etc. and they are so easy to propagate.

Yes, they said they would rehome him and I saw then put him in quarantine. They are pretty cool.

The ghost shrimp are loving the hornwort. And they are at least an inch and a half long! The rcs have claimed the corner next to the bubble wall as their own. They venture around the tank but they seem to like that one spot.

Yes, they said they would rehome him and I saw then put him in quarantine. They are pretty cool.

The ghost shrimp are loving the hornwort. And they are at least an inch and a half long! The rcs have claimed the corner next to the bubble wall as their own. They venture around the tank but they seem to like that one spot.

Cool. A 1.5" ghost shrimp...... Phew. That's is pretty big. Lol, the rcs actually have claimed a territory. Mine just swim freely around. Got any pics of the shrimp and tank?

image-3982326727.jpg

image-4081033810.jpg. This is where the rcs hang out.

image-3779857766.jpg

image-2241473644.jpg. The hornwort is in the back of the driftwood.

image-2982299672.jpg. One of the biggest rcs.

image-806135417.jpg. The pleco.

image-430284684.jpg. Sorry it's blurry. This is one of the smaller ghost shrimp in the foreground and one rcs is in the background.

. This is where the rcs hang out.

. The hornwort is in the back of the driftwood.

. One of the biggest rcs.

. The pleco.

. Sorry it's blurry. This is one of the smaller ghost shrimp in the foreground and one rcs is in the background.

You have some very nice colored rcs!! Sometimes, you end up with some pale colored ones but you got the jackpot! Those look like Taiwan painted fire shrimp! I'm jealous. Lol. What kind of pleco is that again?

You have some very nice colored rcs!! Sometimes, you end up with some pale colored ones but you got the jackpot! Those look like Taiwan painted fire shrimp! I'm jealous. Lol. What kind of pleco is that again?
Thanks! I know, they really colored up nicely. They were pretty pale when I first got them. That is either a rubber nose or rubber lipped pleco. I'm not sure which.

Thanks! I know, they really colored up nicely. They were pretty pale when I first got them. That is either a rubber nose or rubber lipped pleco. I'm not sure which.

Do you feed the shrimp anything or do they just eat algae/whatever they find? I love the giant mouth of the pleco. It's pretty hilarious lol.

Do you feed the shrimp anything or do they just eat algae/whatever they find? I love the giant mouth of the pleco. It's pretty hilarious lol.
I usually feed them an algae wafer or two, broken up at the bottom, twice a week, a micro slow sinking pellets at night, every other night.

One rcs died last night. It was a small one. I also bought another small packet of Purigen for my 20 filter, the second one on the tank.

I usually feed them an algae wafer or two, broken up at the bottom, twice a week, a micro slow sinking pellets at night, every other night.

One rcs died last night. It was a small one. I also bought another small packet of Purigen for my 20 filter, the second one on the tank.

:(. Hopefully that rcs was only the weakly of the group and will be the only one to die. And how's the nitrates?

Just took parameters. PH is 7.4, ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0 (close to it!!). I'm feeling pretty great right now. :D

I'm just glad the pH is holding steady. I'm not sure how the guppy is; I had company in town for the past week. They know I like fish now, too. Lol.

I'm not sure what to get next; I'm still thinking about loaches versus cory cats.

I'm just glad the pH is holding steady. I'm not sure how the guppy is; I had company in town for the past week. They know I like fish now, too. Lol.

I'm not sure what to get next; I'm still thinking about loaches versus cory cats.

I prefer loaches because they look cooler IMO. But Cory cats are also pretty fun to watch when in a group. My favorite type of loach is the clown loach but unfortunately, I need a large tank for them because they grow to a foot long.

Well, I went with my first decision and got six cory habrosus. They are so tiny and cute! I'm so happy with my little community! I will do pwc tomorrow.

I also got a cool blue LED light from Amazon (R2 Extreme LED Aquarium Moonlight) It was only $32 and it lights up up about 4" so it's perfect. I will upload pics later tonight.

With my new blue light on.

ForumRunner_20130623_213427.jpg

ForumRunner_20130623_213448.jpg

Daytime light

ForumRunner_20130623_213512.jpg

RCS doing dental work

ForumRunner_20130623_213530.jpg

New corydorus habrosus

ForumRunner_20130623_213548.jpg

Large ghost shrimp

ForumRunner_20130623_213602.jpg

With my new blue light on.

Daytime light

RCS doing dental work

New corydorus habrosus

Large ghost shrimp

Looks great! Love those cories and looks like they are enjoying themselves too! :). Lol, "rcs doing dental work". Man, you are so lucky you can get an led for your tank for only $32! I'm prob gonna get an led for my 55 and that's gonna cost me at least $100! :facepalm:.

Well, I went with my first decision and got six cory habrosus. They are so tiny and cute! I'm so happy with my little community! I will do pwc tomorrow.

I also got a cool blue LED light from Amazon (R2 Extreme LED Aquarium Moonlight) It was only $32 and it lights up up about 4" so it's perfect. I will upload pics later tonight.

So they finally got back in stock with the cories?

Back
Top Bottom