My first API test results!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midgiepooh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got back from the big city shoppin'! Found the API test and Prime no sweat!

So here's my first test results:

pH - 7.6
Ammonia - 0.25ppm
Nitrite and Nitrate - both zero

So does that sound pretty good? It was suggested to me to do a 50% water change until I got my kit to be on the safe side, but do I need to do such an extensive one today? Haven't changed the water yet...just waiting for the go-ahead from you guys!

So does everything seem to be going okay?

(Just a quick FYI for those who may not know, I'm on my second day of having a fish in an uncycled tank. It was a gift for my child and I have absolutely no clue what I am doing, really. Trying to learn fast!)

Then your tank has not even began its cycle. You'll see an ammonia spike which you'll need to combat with water changes to keep the fish alive. Then the ammonia will convert to nitrites which you'll also be fighting to keep at levels low enough to survive in. Then you nitrites will convert to the final biproduct nitrates which is the reasoning to water changes in a cycled tank and trates are much less dangerous to the fish then trites and ammo. You can really speed the process along by getting used filter media from an established tank to seed the biobacteria that you need to begin your nitrification cycle

Right! I now know how the process works - just wanting to get the feedback to make sure everything is going swell!

But what's Bahamas?

midgiepooh said:
Right! I now know how the process works - just wanting to get the feedback to make sure everything is going swell!

But what's Bahamas?

Phone thought it knew what i wanted haha edited it out before you posted :)

Oh, good! haha! I was thinking it might be a snazzy fish term! You never know!

Before you go doing alot of water changes you need to test your tap water. If you have ammonia coming out of the tap to then your just wasting time and money.

yes test your tap water to be sure if there is or isn't ammonia in there and if not then I suggest a 25% change. .25 or higher is when you need a water change.

So now you know it wouldn't matter how many wc you did you woulda never gotten it down.

Mine is .25 also. Stop I always have a trace of ammonia. Glad you got the test kit! See nothing to worry about!

Quick question- is the ph 7.6 on the regular ph test? If so, test your water with the high range ph test. 7.6 is the limit of the regular test- it will be the same color blue if its 7.6 or 8 or 8.8. Also, I would recheck your nitrate test on your tap just to be sure its zero (which is good!)- the nitrate bottles, especially new ones that have been sitting on a shelf for awhile, can become clumped/crystallized & lead to a false zero result. You need to really shake the bottles hard & bang them on a hard surface while shaking to mix the reagants (your arms should hurt, lol!). Then retest your nitrates & see if they are still zero. :)

I'm glad I got a test kit too!

I'm glad you mentioned the higher pH - I don't know why I didn't think to do that test too. I guess I was just thinking, "Oh, I got 7.6, I'm in good shape!"

I'll get right on that this morning!

Back
Top Bottom