My first attempt and anything DIY for my Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is sweet! I've recently started researching this method as well. Interested to see the final product. I feel the hardest part (for me) would be getting the sand at just the right size, and pump at right flow rate.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Making this has been a blast. But there has been a LOT of learning involved. Due to the size of this (27w x 17h x 11.5d) the buoyancy has been far greater than I anticipated. I have hallowed out the bottom 3" and have been filling it in with concrete in stages, to see how much weight I need to add to make it stay submerged.

I also bought an adjustable air pump, along with an adjustable manifold for fine tuning the flow, but I have a lip at the exit of the PVC pipe that I am hoping the sand will hit and fall straight down. My plan was for this lip to allow me to tune the pump a little higher, without spraying all over the tank, which should give me a wider "sweet spot" for the flow. I have pool filtration sand at my house as I have a sand filter for my pool, and I have read several different places that this is the diameter sand you want (~1mm to 1.5mm).

Things that I have learned:
-Make your structure as hollow as possible. This minimizes the water you have to displace, and thus requiring less weight to sink it

-A hot knife is not necessary, but will make your job much cleaner

- Use cement, not concrete. Much more appealing, easier application, no rocks.

- The color of the cement dry will greatly change from the color it is applied at. I knew it would lighten up as it dried, but it was WAY lighter than I thought it would be.

- Thin your coats with water, and use twice as many coats as you think necessary.

Cost so far:

Required:

4x8 Sheet of Styrofoam: $8
10lb bag of cement: $2.30
1" diameter PVC pipe and elbows: $7
Tube of Silicone: $3.50

Total: $21

Optional:

Hot Knife: $20 (Michael's)
Paint Brushes: $5
Lighter/Heat Gun: $1 - $20
Cement Dye: $5