My first dirted/planted tank setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brymack

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My first dirted tank, upgrading from a 29g gravel-only tank. Well it's still a work in progress but I'm following a lot of advice from this site and others so I hope it turns out ok in the end. I spent days researching ways to do this so I hope my success (or failure) can provide some good info to those like me who want to go with a planted/dirted tank. Comments and advice are more than welcome.

Dirting tank after triple rinse 002.jpg

In this 75g I've used 2 1/2 bags of miracle grow organic garden soil. Seems the advice around the net was split about 50/50 on using the garden soil or the potting soil. I triple rinsed to get rid of a lot of the small suspension particles and that seemed to work pretty well. I did not use fluorite or the other specialty soils/clays just due to my increasingly smaller budget ; ) I put it in when it was pretty wet which seemed to help me in being able to build up some areas into the 'scape I desired. And then I packed it down pretty good by hand prior to putting the gravel cap on. I have a min of 2 1/2" of soil in here. I was going for about a 1 1/2" gravel cap on top but I am realizing I need to add a little more in some places.

Gravel and hardscape.jpg

Pic after putting in the gravel (rinsed thouroughly), and some AR field stone to hold back a berm area as well as provide a "cave" like hiding place for my pleco "catty" (named by my daughter), although you cant see that bermed-up area in the pic very well. I skimmed off as many "floater" pieces as I could and after one day the water was still very cloudy.

I removed about 50% of the water and after another day the water was still very cloudy. This pic is just after that water change. Then I decided to do almost a complete water change: 1] I took the water out down to about the gravel. Then as I ran the hose slowly to fill it back up, at the same time I was using my gravel siphon to remove water out at a slightly slower pace than I was putting it back in. The next pic is after that, now the water is pretty clear. I haven't hooked up my canister filter yet but am running my new aquatop 300w heater and hydor koralia 425 circ pump. Going to set up my Eheim 2217 filter in the next day or two.

Dirting tank after triple rinse 009.jpg

The few plants you do see are ones that never did well in my existing gravel-only substrate tank (3 Amazonia swords and one ferm of some type) I'll see if they perk up now that I've transplanted to the dirted tank... they all actually had pretty good root systems for being in gravel only. Ive also planted 2 packs of aquatic bulbs from petco so I'll see how they do - it's only been a day since I planted those.

I'm going to go for a heavily planted tank but I haven't decided exactly what all I want in there but I'll work on this over the next few weeks. And the few that I have found that I do want I can't find in my area (weeping moss and a few others). I'll add some more pics as I move along in the process of planting my money-pit.

I've been doing dirted tanks for a long time and my biggest is a high tech 220g. From experience I can tell you to thicken your grave up to 2 or 2-1/2 inches also. It makes it so you can most plant in the gravel and then roots can go down into the dirt which makes much less mess. Also be sure to keep some of your cap on hand all the time so you have it for touch ups when needed. Be sure if you plant deep rooters like Crypts and Swords to plant them where you want them to stay as moving them once established can make a big mess in a dirted tank.

I'll be following along I know rivercats will be giving you the absolute best advice there is. And I have a dirted shrimp tank and I'm getting tired of the dirt so I'm sure ill be learning a lot also.

I've been doing dirted tanks for a long time and my biggest is a high tech 220g. From experience I can tell you to thicken your grave up to 2 or 2-1/2 inches also. It makes it so you can most plant in the gravel and then roots can go down into the dirt which makes much less mess. Also be sure to keep some of your cap on hand all the time so you have it for touch ups when needed. Be sure if you plant deep rooters like Crypts and Swords to plant them where you want them to stay as moving them once established can make a big mess in a dirted tank.

Great tip on deepening the gravel bed and planting them in the gravel to where they can root down into the soil... a lot less mess, makes perfect sense but I never would've thought of it. Thanks.

Question to all that know about lighting. Right now I just have the stock 48" single florescent bulb, 20w I think. When the budget allows I'm going to upgrade to an led unit with higher lumens and a moonlight feature. I've seen a lot about rules of thumb of watts per gallon, but is there any rule of thumb on lumens per gallon? I'd like an idea as to how much light I might need to make the plants grow well. Watts are just a measure of energy use and has nothing to do with light output. A 20w floro can have the same lumens as say an 80w incandescent bulb. But I haven't found any lumens rule of thumb, Thanks in advance.

Question to all that know about lighting. Right now I just have the stock 48" single florescent bulb, 20w I think. When the budget allows I'm going to upgrade to an led unit with higher lumens and a moonlight feature. I've seen a lot about rules of thumb of watts per gallon, but is there any rule of thumb on lumens per gallon? I'd like an idea as to how much light I might need to make the plants grow well. Watts are just a measure of energy use and has nothing to do with light output. A 20w floro can have the same lumens as say an 80w incandescent bulb. But I haven't found any lumens rule of thumb, Thanks in advance.

What about a combination of a finnex ray 2 and a monster ray?

Update - canister filter setup and some plants

So I finally had time to set up my new Eheim 2217 (box also reads "classic 600") so I'm not really sure what to call it. First canister filter I've had, I agree with some others on this filter the instructions were a bit lacking but the pics were pretty easy to follow. Made a bit of a mess when I primed it following someone else's advice: it worked, it worked a lot better and quicker than I thought it would and the sheer water pressure from the tank caused me to spray quite a bit of water directly on to my power strip, yikes. But no harm no foul I guess, a learning experience. No leaks, that's good.
Eheim 2217 001.jpg

For now I'm running the filter with the bio balls substrate, the mechanical media as well as the carbon filter. The water got a little cloudy on me again after adding a few more plants so I'm hoping running it with the carbon will help clear it back up without doing another water change, but I may still wc anyway.

I added a melon sword in front of the Mopani wood piece on the left, a single Annubias barteri rear right corner (I was told this was barteri but possibly nana?), and about 4 groups of 3 each of Anacharis in the background area. Ordered a few square starters of Vesicularia ferriei (weeping moss) which I hope will arrive soon. Going to add more plants after I find one's I like. Update on the assorted PS bulbs I planted... I had one (out of about 6) sprout so far and I think it's onion but too early to tell.
003.jpg

Other than that I gave the tank about half a dose of plant gro and a full dose of biozyme to help kick start the BB.

Back
Top Bottom