My first fish is here!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scottayy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Excited. Finally got my water perfect and am able to start populating my tank.

I got the obligatory clownfish and two big hermit crabs.
Tomorrow I am picking up a clownfish friend and some snails.

So rewarding!

Hopefully the 2 clowns will be drastically different sizes of the same species. If not, they'll fight something awful and it may not end well to figure out who the dominant one and female is. Maybe you'll get lucky and it'll be already determined. Or maybe they'll scuffle lightly for a day or sao and settle it quickly. So many possibilites. Good luck.

Really? The lfs said since it is a baby it would do fine with another baby. Not true?

Both babies, huh? Gotta be less than an inch I'd think. Dunno. Worth a try I guess. Best of luck to you and keep us posted on how it goes.

Yeah, it is less than an inch. Looks tiny in my 55g with it all to his self. I might just skip getting another one.

Definitely getting some snails tomorrow though.

Thanks! :)

Na get him a partner, but make sure it's the youngest you can get from your lfs, and preferable the same Epithet. I have two youngsters and they do some battling but not yet. They also are already asserting there dominance, the whole vibrating and laying down thing.

Yes, I got him a partner. So far they are getting along good. I'll keep an eye on them.

I also got 2 snails and 2 green chromis (i read i was supposed to get an odd number, but the guy at the LFS seemed to be strongly against it? he said they weed each other out in his experience).

I'll let these guys establish themselves and make sure i can maintain a stable system before I add anything else.

I have 2 baby ocellaris clowns, and they are fine together. The owner of my local fish store told me that they will pair up and the smaller one will become the male. I've had them for over a month now and they are doing great. They swim together and never fight at all. They are great. :)

So the clown fish get sexed by who is the strongest would necome the male and weakest will become a female
No... all clown fish start as male... and the strong one will become female... she will also grow in size... You know how it goes, once they get become an item, she just balloons.

... okay... all clown fish when they mature turn into males... then the dominant one becomes the female and the dominant male breeds with her, the rest in the group are juvenile/non-dominant males. If the female dies then the most dominant male will become the female and the rest will move up the chain. But a female was always a male first.
You could say all humans start out sexless as our bodies have to mature before being able to breed.

From what Ive read all clowns are male till they pair up then the bigger one turns female.. Congrats on new fish Scottay, always happy times when you have a new addition or 2..

I bought 2 percula clowns today. I was also thinking of getting an anemone but the Guy at the LFS Told me the anemone may not be suited for all my coral when I go a reef tank

anemones can move around the tank killing coral... there are things you can do to help to keep an anemone in place but it's risky. I would look up on anemones and make sure that you are not worried about possibly losing a coral or two when it decides to go for a trip.

Back
Top Bottom